Chapter 35

Frypan was not happy when we took his whole box of wax paper rolls away from him, especially since the supplies are cut off. He argues that it's one of the things he always requests, that he uses it for baking.
"How about, we use as much as we need and when I have the time - I teach you how to make my apple pie?" I suggest and Frypan stares at me for a moment. He then sighs, reluctantly nodding. I cheer, hugging him quickly before rushing off after Minho and Thomas, back to the Map room.
"This had better be good." Minho says. Newt leans forward, putting his elbows on the table, like he's waiting for me to perform some sort of magic trick at a birthday party.
"C'mon, Elle."
"Okay." I say, eager but slightly afraid that this might end up not working. "Start cutting rectangles, about the size of the Maps. Newt and Chuck, you can help me grab the first ten or so Maps from each section box."
"What is this, kiddie craft time?" Minho holds up a knife and looks at it with a strong expression of distaste. "Why don't you just tell us what the klunk we're doing this for?"
"I'm done explaining." I say, knowing that everyone needs to see what I'm picturing. "It'll be easier to show you. if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and we can go back to running around the Maze like mice." Minho sighs, irritably before muttering something under his breath.

I think I know what you're doing. Brilliant, actually.
I look up in shock when Thomas's voice is inside my head.
How did you do that?
I ask, completely shocked.
You said in my memory, I was talking in your head some how... That day you passed out, you were speaking to me in my head as you were knocked out. Thomas explains.
That's crazy.
I state the obvious. After we grab all the Maps we can find, we return to the table and grab a few rectangles that Minho and Newt had cut out. I grab a marker in my hand and sigh.
"All right, everybody trace the last ten of so days onto a piece of this stuff. Make sure you write the info on top so we can keep track of what's what." I tell them. "When we're done, I think we might see something."
"What-" Minho begins, but Newt interrupts him.
"Just bloody keep cutting." He orders and I send him a thankful look. "I think I know where she's going with this." A weight lifts off my shoulder and I sigh in relief, happy that someone's getting it apart from Thomas, who seems to understand everything I do. We get to work, tracing from the original Maps to wax paper, one by one, trying to keep everything clean and accurate. Box by box, section by section, we continue.

"I've had enough." Newt announces, breaking the peaceful silence. "My fingers are bloody burning like a mother. See if it's working." I put my marker down and flew my fingers, since they're burning quite a lot too.
"Okay. Give me the last few days of each section - make piles along the table, in order from Section One to Section Eight." I order and surprisingly, they do exactly as I ask. I lay each one on top of the other drawing of the Maze that match the same day above it, and below it, until I'm looking at all the different sections of the Maze all at once. What I see, amazes me, and apparently everyone else to. As if by some crazy fairy-magic, a picture comes into focus. I let out a small gasp and everyone else stares at it. Lines cross each other, up and down, so much that what I hold in my hands looks like a chequered grid. But certain lines in the middle - lines that happened to appear more often than any other - make a slightly darker image than the rest. It's subtle, but definitely there. Sitting in the exact center of the page is the letter F.