Chapter 22

Everyone gathers in the little hut Gladers have their Gatherings in to discuss Thomas's fate. The Keeper - Frypan, Winston, Zart, Clint, Minho & Gally - are all standing in the front, facing other Gladers. Newt is taking over as the leader, since Alby was stung and is going through the Changing. Thomas is sat down on a chair, and doesn't really get to say anything. I get to sit next to him because apparently, I'm going to be discussed in this Gathering too, unlike everyone else.
"In place of our leader, sick in bed, I declare this Gathering begun." Newt says, with a subtle roll of his eyes, like he hates being so formal. "As you all know, the last few days have been bloody crazy, and quite a bit seems centered around our new Greenbeans, Tommy and Kaya, one of them seated before us." I furrow my brows a little at the attention pointed at me, since I wasn't the one who ran into the freaking maze. Thomas's face flushes red with embarrassment, so I send him an encouraging smile.
"He's not the Greenie anymore." Gally retorts. "He's just a rule breaker now." This starts off a load of murmurs and whispers, making me internally groan at how that boy can't keep anything to himself.
"Gally," Newt starts. "try to keep some buggin' order here. If you're gonna blabber your shuck mouth every time I say something, you can go ahead and bloody leave, because I'm not in a very cheerful mood." I feel the need to get up and cheer loudly, but I restrain myself and decide to wink at Chuck instead.

Gally folds his arms and leans back against the small post he's been resting against, a slight scowl on his face, showing his distaste. Obviously, 'Captain Gally' doesn't like being told off. I see Thomas suppressing a laugh and realize that he's probably over being scared of Gally.
"Glad we got that out of the way." Newt speaks, after giving Gally a hard stare. "Reason we're here is because almost every lovin' kid in the Glade has come up to me in the last day or two, either boo-hooing about Thomas or beggin' to take Kaya's bloody hand in marriage. We need to decide what we're gonna do with 'em."
"This gathering is supposed to be about Thomas, not the shuck gir-"
"You'll have your chance, Gally. One at a time." Newt cuts the boy of. "And Tommy and Kaya, you're not allowed to say a buggin' thing until we ask you to. Good that?" He waits for some sort of reaction, so Thomas and I nod. "Zart the Fart, you start." Sniggers fill the room and Zart shifts in his seat, looking a little humiliated.

"Let's start with Kaya, good that?" Newt inquires, raising his eyebrow, to show Zart to start.
"I think she should be treated like any other Glader." Zart states. "We all remember that meal she cooked with Frypan, and she's been great helping out the Med-jacks whenever they need to. But she's intelligent. Fast, quick-thinking and observant." I feel myself blush slightly with all of the compliments.
"What do you propose?" Newt asks, still sounding annoyed that he needs to be so ceremonious.
"I say we make her your helper or something." Zart says. "Since Alby's sick, you'll be needing some help, right? I think she could be our momentary second-in-command or something. That way, she can do all the things she's good at."
"Alright," Newt pauses to write something down. "What about Tommy?"
"Well," Zart begins, his eyes darting from Thomas to Gally, to me. "I don't know. He broke one of our most important rules. We can't just let people think that's okay." He pauses shortly and looks down at his hands, rubbing them together. Zart is a really nice guy - smiley and enthusiastic. But apparently, he isn't good under pressure. Or maybe just in the spotlight. Or both.