Chapter 16

Kaya's POV
"We can't keep doing this to them." I tell Thomas, looking at the boys that are being tested on.
"What choice do we have?" Thomas asks. "We need to find a cure. I'm not letting you go through what happened last time."
"You mean Luka." I state. My bother Luka is the only reason I trust W.I.C.K.E.D anyway. He was a 'crank' with the flare, and they tried to treat him until it was too late. And when he went crazy, I asked them if there was a way they could put him out of his misery without making him suffer more. And they did. They're the reason Luka isn't still here, going through so much pain.
"Yes... I mean Luka." Thomas admits. "You were crushed. It's different - when you see someone you care about so much. It makes all this important, Kaya."
"I know Tommy." I sigh a little and he takes my face in his hands.
"This is for the best." He assures me, kissing my forehead and wrapping me into a hug.
"Everything's going to change now." I reply. I walk towards where Chancellor Paige is and see her standing in front of a screen. Curiosity takes over and I gasp as I see what she's studying. "How is this creating results?!" I ask Chancellor Paige. "We're hurting these kids and they don't even know what's happening! Some of them are only children!"
"You know we don't do this for nothing, Kaya." Chancellor Paige replies crisply, pushing her blonde, done up hair behind her ear. "Please understand."
"I'm trying to, I'm sorry." I apologize after seeing Thomas's stern look.
"Remember, Kaya."
"W.I.C.K.E.D is good." We chorus.

I sit up, panting from my dream. Looking to my left, I see Newt's figure shaking Alby and Minho's hands as the doors to the Maze open, before the run into it, leaving Newt behind. Looking over at a still sleeping Thomas, I reach down and quickly pull on my brown, beat up combat boots before getting up and walking to the shower/toilet areas to brush my teeth. Once I'm finished, I look for Newt and run into him - almost literally.
"You're up really early. You okay?" Newt says, looking concerned.
"Yeah. Just, strange dream." I admit. "Though I can't really remember it much." Newt nods his head, looking a little tired. "Why is Alby going into the Maze?" I ask what's been burning in my mind for a while. "Is he going to retrace Ben's foot steps?"
"He is. But don't worry, Alby knows what he's doing." Newt promises.
"Okay..." I trail off a little, not knowing what to do.
"Listen, you're with the Builders today to try out that job." I frown a little, knowing that Gally's Keeper of the Builders. "Don't worry Kaya, Alby already talked to Gally. He'll treat you any other Glader, and not any worse."
"Thanks Newt." I beam up at the blonde, and he returns the smile.
"Listen, are you alright? I hope you understand that I couldn't have done anything about what happened yesterday..." Newt starts and I shake my head to cut him off.
"I know. I'm sorry about the scene I caused." I apologize.
"Honestly, I'm not sure that was the big scene everyone paid attention to, so don't worry about it." Newt jokes, making me laugh, grateful that he's not upset with me.