Chapter 34

"Kaya and I are... different." Thomas explains. "We were part of the Maze Trials from the very beginning - but against our will, I swear it."
"Thomas, what are you talking about?" Minho says.
"Kaya and I helped design the Maze." Thomas confesses after taking in a deep breath. "We created the whole thing."
'What's that supposed to mean?" Newt finally questions. "You're a bloody seventeen-year-old. Kaya could be fifteen for all we know. How could you have created the Maze?"
"We were... smart. But most importantly, Kaya and I have a... gift that made us very valuable as they designed and built this place." He stops, thinking it sounds crazy.
"Speak!" Newt orders. "Spit it out!"
"We're telepathic!" Thomas blurts. "We can talk to each other in our freaking heads!" Saying it like that, made him seem like he was a little ashamed of it, which confused me. We're telepathic? And suddenly, it all made sense.
"Why would they send us up if we were with them?" I retort.
"I don't know." Thomas whispers, before telling us more of his memories.

"We know you can figure this out." Minho prompts, showing me the actual model of the Maze. When it got burned down, I thought we lost everything. But apparently, Alby warned Minho to take care of the mapping, so Minho hid it and replaced it with a fake model. They've been talking me into trying to figure out the maze for a while now, and I think I can do it. "You're all we've shucking got." I sigh, nodding my head and agreeing.
"Okay. Let's start off simple." I commence. "I have these dreams every night." I explain. "I think they're... memories. While I'm dreaming, I know exactly what's happening and when it is. But when I wake up, I don't ever remember the dream." I admit. "But there is one that I remember. I remember talking to Thomas... in my mind somehow." I explain. "I remember telling him that the maze is a code."
"What does that mean?" Newt questions.
"Well, the walls move every night, right?" I ask, earning a nod. "And Minho said they think there's a pattern, right?" More nodding.
"We always compare each section's Map to the one fron the day before, and the day before that, and the day before that." Minho explains.
"Day by day, each Runner just analyses their own Sections." I add. "What if they're supposed to compare the Maps to other sections..." I trail off, and everyone waits to hear the rest of my theory.

"The first thing the word code makes me think of is letters." I go on. "Letters in the alphabet. Maybe the Maze is trying to spell something." I can basically see the machines working in everyone's brains.
"You're right - you're right!" Thomas exclaims. "But the Runners have been looking at it wrong this whole time. They're been analyzing it the wrong way!"
"Minho - you said the patterns repeat themselves, only they can't figure out what is means, right?" Minho nods. "But they've always studied them section by section, comparing one day to the next. What id each day is trying to reveal a word?" I suggest. "With the wall movements?"
"Okay..." Minho says.
"Or maybe a letter a day, I don't know. But they've always thought the movements would reveal how to escape, not spell something. You've always had one Runner assigned to one section. And that Runner makes a Map every day, and then compares it to the Maps from the previous days, for that section. What id, instead, you were supposed to compare the eight sections to each other, every day?" I finish my theory.
"You're brilliant!" Newt exclaims, hugging me quickly.
"Wax paper." I speak.
"Huh?" Minho asks. "What the-"
"Just trust me. We need wax paper and scissors. And every black marker and pencil you can find."