08 | Free Falling

"A meltdown away,"

- e.k.

S E R E N I T Y

S E R E N I T Y

The school was throwing a masquerade party. That was it. That was the problem. Who in the world did the school think it was? What in their right minds thought it would be okay? A masquerade. Did they even have a plan for identifying students? Gatecrashers could rock up whenever they wanted to, and no one would notice because everyone would be wearing masks.

"You're an overthinker, aren't you?" Indigo asked when she got into Dawn's car and sat beside me.

Dawn sat in the driver's seat, glancing up at the rearview mirror to look at me. Adara was in the passenger's seat, too busy flicking through the AUX playlist to listen in on the private conversation Indigo was instigating.

"It happens from time to time when my brain decides she doesn't want to shut up," I replied, turning my head to face her.

And was she a sight. Her dark hair rolled over her shoulders in waves, her grey eyes standing out to the smoky eye makeup only visible through the plain black mask covering the top half of her face. She wore a white bodice and black pants, accessorising with gold stud earrings and a bracelet she often wore.

"Happens to the best of us, I think," She shrugged before putting her seatbelt on.

When Adara blessed the car with her good taste in music, I listened to my friends jam out. I caught Dawn's eyes through the mirror again. She wasn't wearing her mask yet, so I saw her usually stoic face soften as she sang me the lyrics of Love On The Brain by Rihanna. I laughed at her attempt to get me to loosen up and did so anyway, trying to release any tension in my shoulders.

It worked.

Until we got out of the car, and my eyes instantly found Gabriel's. It was soul-stirringly satisfying - how fast our eyes found each other. Instant butterflies.

Adara's face got in my way before I could muster the confidence to say hi.

"Mask has got to be on," She grabbed it out of my hands and placed it on for me, adjusting my hair to fluff it around my shoulders and brushing some strands away from my face. I was going to squish her cute face.

In return, I poked her lavender mask, matching her lavender scarf and made sure her faux lashes were in place. Adara slapped my hand away after I spent a minute too long, and I followed behind her as she led us into the school hall, biting the inside of my mouth to stop smiling so much.

"I'm going to say hi to Pearl and her friends," Adara stopped at the door. "I saw their car somewhere behind ours. You can all go in if you want. I'll follow in a minute."

"Okay, bye," Dawn grabbed Indigo by the waistband of her pants and me by the wrist - seeing as I had a dress on - and hauled our asses into the hall.

"Yeah, this is already looking like shit," Indigo practically read my thoughts aloud.