16 | Not Like This

"You can break me. I'll allow you to break me,"
- e.k.

G A B R I E L

G A B R I E L

Her face was in the crowd toward the end of the game. It was the first time I'd seen it in a while, and I was overwhelmed. Mostly, I was confused because I didn't want to cry or scream. I just looked at her like I was trying to figure out her intentions, which had been no use because what the hell? She was back for me.

"Head in the game, Gabby," Nelly shoved my shoulders, moving me out of the way before Chad Briggs shot in front of me with the football clutched in his hands. "And where the fuck is Chance?"

I occupied my mind with the whereabouts of Chancey, letting my eyes scan the field and the bleachers. There, behind the bleachers, was a figure I could slightly make out. It was definitely him. Without telling Nelly what I was doing, I jogged to the spot, turning behind the bleachers to get a good glance at Chancey.

He was sitting on the grass, during practice, which was not like him at all. He loved everything about football, and skipping practice was a no-go for him. So why was he sitting there with his head held in his hands?

"Chance?" I crouched before him, a little taken aback.

He lifted his head, locks of his light brown hair falling on his forehead, some almost covering his eyes. They looked swollen, a little red around the edges as if they'd been holding back tears for so long.

"Hey, man. What's going on?"

Chancey sniffled, turning his head away from me, "Nothing. You found me. Let's go."

I moved in front of him before he could get up. "Not like this. Something's up. What's going on in your head? It's not good to keep it in," I repeated the words Zion once told me.

"No, I don't wanna talk about it, Gabby." His voice sounded hoarse.

"Are you sure?"

He didn't answer, only letting his back lean further against the railing holding the bleachers up and running a hand through his hair. His hand moved toward his chest, and he rubbed at it as if it ached.

"She's gonna die."

It was merely a whisper, but I caught onto it. My eyes widened, and I blinked slowly as he continued.

"Indigo's gonna leave me," He rasped. "I just got her back. I just got her back man, and she's-" A small sob filtered through his lips, and I watched his hands cover his face as it crumbled. "She's gonna leave me, Gabby."

Now that I was on the opposite end of a similar situation, I didn't know how to act. Chancey was a touchy person, so I knew he'd want a hug, but I wasn't sure I could give him that. His shoulders shook, and it seemed like the only way he could keep himself up was by ranting. I let him. It was my way of comforting him; listening.