13 | Maybe Someday

"I need you to stay."
- e.k.

S E R E N I T Y

S E R E N I T Y

Agreeing to go to Nicandro's house with Gabe felt like a massive surge of excitement and nerves. I hadn't officially met his friends yet, but I wanted to look forward to it. They were a large part of Gabe's life, and I wanted to know everything about him. He already knew my friends, and now it was my turn.

"You know those are one of my biggest fears," Gabriel said sharply. "Dogs are way better than cats. Dogs own me."

River, who sat across from us on Nico's backyard porch, subtly let his eyes linger on Gabe's arm. It was around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him as we sat in the same cushion seat. I tried to not shift uncomfortably as River moved his gaze to me.

I chuckled nervously, turning to Gabe. "I'm going to buy a cat one day, just to scare you off."

His dark eyebrows lifted as he scoffed, saying, "You couldn't last two hours without me."

"Those will be the best two hours of her life," River commented from across.

I smiled as Gabe's grin was replaced with a scowl. The sound of footsteps and a gate opening and closing marked the arrival of some of Gabe's other friends. My heart leapt and I let myself get distracted with the space before me.

Nicandro's backyard was open, a glass carport blocking out the sight of the sky above us as white lights provided light instead. Between the couch River sat on and the one Gabe forces us both to rest on, a rectangular coffee table filled the spacious outdoor area.

When Pearl, Edvany and Teagan emerged from the side walkway, I watched as Nicandro told them to make themselves at home. He reached for the speakers on the coffee table, and I felt Gabe shift beside me. He clicked his tongue in annoyance and slowly removed his arm from around my shoulder to get up and move to him.

"Your music is disgusting; get out of here," Gabe peaked over his best friend's shoulder, trying to grab the phone, but Nicandro called him an emo boy and moved away. I laughed at them bickering as an upbeat rhythm filled the air around us.

The slight chill caressed my bare legs, and I fidgeted with my white skirt as Teagan glanced my way. She had been here before her two other friends and introduced herself to me. With fierce blue eyes that seemed to pierce into the sight of River more than usual, she grabbed her friends and approached me. A warm smile was painted along her plump lips.

"Serenity, this is Edvany and Pearl."

I glanced up at them, taking in their faces as they shared a polite smile. They were so pretty, and I didn't know if I had to hug them or shake their hand. I got up out of my seat anyway and moved closer to Edvany first. I quickly hugged her, saying, "Hi, it's nice to see you," and gave Pearl the same hug. They smelled so nice, I might've blushed.