15 | In Your Head

"I'll make sure the stars realign for the next."
- e.k.

S E R E N I T Y

S E R E N I T Y

It was game day.

Gabriel had been silent for the entire week, and I didn't want to press. He was preoccupied with enough; most of his last assessment tasks, football practice, football games. I was at one of them now with Adara sitting beside me. She, too, hadn't been as talkative as usual, and I was hating every second of it.

"I like Gabriel," I stated firmly, not caring if the cheering crowd drowned my words out or not. I was too busy staring at the open field before us to notice if she was listening. "I've had a crush on him for a few years, but now I really, really like him. And I get that you probably don't want me to. I mean, you said it yourself, he'll hurt me, but I don't think he will. He's a sweet guy, Adara. He's beautiful, and when he does something wrong, he acknowledges it and tries to fix it. Or at least, he seems like the type of guy to do that. Anyway, besides the point, I'm really in like with your cousin, and I don't want to stop it from going any further."

An eruption of cheers burst through the bleachers when our team scores, and I want to laugh because I did score. I finally spoke for myself. I spoke for what I wanted, and I had enough courage to do it to Adara of all people. She was usually the one to speak for me.

"Hm," She hummed, and I heard it despite the excitement of the people around us.

This was bad. Really, really bad. She was calm! That was worse than anger itself.

"Please do not be calm. It is not good to be calm because I know you don't like this, so I need you to not be calm," I rushed out, finally turning to face her.

Adara was staring out onto the football field, her eyes tracking down a player I had a feeling was Gabriel. "I don't like sharing."

My face crumbled, and I pressed tightly on my lips to suppress a laugh. She was being entirely honest, and I wanted to cackle.

"Mhm, that's okay," I nodded, smiling big instead of laughing. "You'll learn to."

Her head snapped toward me, and I should've ducked or something because her eyes could've given me a concussion. They stared me down, narrowing into slits. I was going to die, wasn't I? Like cousin, like cousin?

"I will not learn to. He will just have to accept that I will come first. Dawn and Indigo will both be before him, as will I since we are your friends. Sisters. So, if he decided to hog you, I will 'accidentally' cut off his ears," Adara seethes, and I kept nodding my head. We were getting somewhere.

"Good, good. But let me correct you. He is also my friend-"

"Stop lying to yourself," She jabbed a finger onto my forehead, and I just stared at her with my mouth tightly closed.