Step-mother and daughter bonding

John sighed heavily, after being kicked out of his eldest daughter's room, sitting next to his wife on the sofa. "You okay hun?" Emily turned to her husband with concerned eyes pausing the TV.

"Y/n has her first party tonight."

"Ohhhh." Emily's eyes widened as she understandably nodded. "She kicked you out then?" Emily chuckled.

"She's stressing about what to wear, what make-up to do, what she should do with her hair and all that, I tried to help but apparently I was useless and I picked out the wrong outfit." The room fell silent except from the distant giggles of Hazel and Violet playing in one of their rooms together. "Why don't you go and help her?" John turned back to his wife.

"What?" Emily turned to John quickly in shock. You and Emily had a weird relationship, not a complicated one, you loved her dearly, but stepmother and daughter was hardly going to be perfect from the start. Again you didn't hate Emily, you adored her, and she adored you too and loved you like her own. But you always went to your dad still with touchy or personal subjects, that a mother and daughter would have been expected to share, such as when you were having friends problem or you had a crush on someone, it was always your dad you went to, but that was like second nature to you. You had always gone to your dad for help seeing as your mother left you both for a younger, rich man. You're dad was your rock and was always there for and it wasn't like you didn't want to go to Emily for help, but it just felt weird asking a mother figure for help or advice as you had never had that experience before.

"Go on you're way better than these things than me. And you two can bond, by i don't know talking about boys whilst you're brushing her hair."

"You're a massive cliche you know that don't you?!" Emily laughed.

"I'm not good with this stuff okay? Even though I had to deal with it for all her life." John pouted slightly trying to persuaded Emily, and it worked Emily's heart melted remembering you never really had a proper mother-daughter interaction. Emily answered John's question by standing up going up the stairs to your room. Knocking on the door a little harder than usual as you were playing, not blasting, music in your room.

"Dad i told you I don't need your help." Emily heard you sigh on the other side of the door.

"It's Emily not dad." the door opened to your flushed face looking very stressed.

"Can you help me?" you asked trying your best to calm down.

"Yeah sure what do you need help with." Emily tried to contain her happy squeal that this seemed to be and situation where you two could properly bond. "What do you need help with?"

"I can't find anything to wear and I don't know what to do for make-up or hair." You sighed tiding the clothes thrown across the floor from your wardrobe. "There's nothing in my wardrobe I want to wear tonight."

"I mean I have some things, like dresses, that don't fit me anymore." Emily pointed behind her to your bedroom door, indicating to her and John's bedroom slightly across from yours.

"Do you mind?"

"Of course not hunny they don't fit me anymore." Emily slightly chuckled getting up from your bed holding her hand out for you to take. "Come and have a look with me." You took her hand with a smile as you followed her to her's and your's dad's bedroom as she opened her part of the part of the closet, placing you in front of her as you looked through her old clothes that non longer fit her as she rested her chin on top of your head as every now and then she suggested and pointed out some clothes.

"How about this one sweetie?" Emily takes a summery dress out of her closet and holds it up in front of you. "It'll fit you."