🖌 04. Lackluster

The phone alarm buzzes again, disturbing the peace inside the cream-painted walls. A groan follows and the bed creaks.

It is almost ten am but Maize doesn't look like she'll be waking up soon.

The alarm rings again and I sigh. I take away her blanket. Her stomach is exposed from her bunched-up clothes as she lies flat with arms over her head in a surrender position and legs outstretched. She almost resembles the figure of a stick man.

"Girl, wake up." I nudge her but she only wipes the drool from her face. "Wake up. Wake up, Maize."

"Umm-kay..." She nods but twists to the side.

I tap her arm yet still nothing happened. Giving up, I return to my bed and pick up a book. I am already midway through what I'm reading when Maize jumps out of the bed. She picks up her bedside clock, her eyes widening as her mind is probably registering what time is it.

"Why didn't you wake me up? Oh my gosh!" she screams and dashes to the bathroom.

It's not even five minutes when she returns with only her undies and a towel wrapping her head. She rummages through her closet before picking up a loose dress while I try to comprehend how she is comfortable going out here, almost naked.

"Let's go," she says.

I get up right away. "You're done?"

"Of course!"

"Oh... okay." I put on my boots and take one last look at my outfit. My mustard puff sleeves top is tucked in plaid pants and a black belt to keep it fit. I am thinking if I should have a beret when Maize is already at the door.

"Come on, come on!"

"Okay." I decide to go with the beret in the end and walk out.

"Love the fit," Maize comments while she locks our room.

"Thanks," I reply, giving a small smile. I don't really know how to deal with compliments.

"By the way, sorry for shouting at you earlier," she says with a hint of an uneven tilt on her lips. "I know I'm a hard person to wake up. That's why I might really need your help and wake me up on time."

"Like what kind of help?" My brows shoot up.

"Pull me out of bed, splash me with water, whatever is fine with me as long as I can wake up, honestly."

I can't help the incredulous expression that must be showing on my face. "Are you sure?

She nods. "Slapping me is fine too. But not on my face because it easily marks. So please do me a favor." She turns to me with lashes fluttering, making me think if this is how I look when I'm pestering Leo.

"Well, I guess?" It's not like it's a hard thing to do.

"Nice! I'll treat you to lunch then!"

My lips curl at the mention of free lunch. "I won't say no to that."

🎨 🎨 🎨

If there is one thing I can appreciate about our university, it is the never-ending exhibits happening here. The gallery is filled with artworks following a theme of optical illusions and unique patterns that captures the eyes as if all paintings here are in motion.

"Look, this is beautiful!" Maize points to the one behind her.

It is composed of a curved stroke that has no certain form. The very front is almost a cool-toned white and behind it becomes more gradient until it fades into a dark blue painted in a black background.

What's interesting is the tilt of the exact same shape as the first stroke which is followed by the cold color palette that somehow resembles a coral reef in the deepest ocean trench.

"Right. This one too," I gesture towards the painting next to it.

As a fan and someone who uses surrealism, this one definitely stole my heart.

At a faraway glance, it looks like just old people crowded in a frame but at a short distance, the detail becomes more vivid. It showcases their youthful life while incorporating it to create the facial structures seen from afar.

Definitely, the best one I have seen. Even the way they blend it is top-tier. It looks so smooth that it can pass off as a digital print.

But the more we stroll around, the more I am too astounded to be surrounded by such creativity and pure genius. Imagine there are so many talented people and here I am with lackluster skills? Is it too late to back out now?

🎨 🎨 🎨

By the time we finished walking around the school and getting familiarized, it was almost past seven.

We just grabbed our dinner by the dining hall and go back to our room.

"Huh? I really think I forgot something?" I say while trying to remember exactly what.

"Your phone?" Maize guesses.

"No, it's in my bag."

"Wallet?"

"It's also here."

Seconds of silence envelop the room.

"Oh!"

Maize's shriek jolts me in an instant.

"What?"

"I know! Your hat!"

My face brightens upon realizing she's correct. "Right! I think left it below. You can go shower first and I'll get it."

"Okay, okay."

I run to the elevator and press the ground floor button. Just when I thought it'll be fast and swift, all alone inside, the door opens on the third floor.

My breath hitches for a moment before struggling to make my face expressionless. Of all people, him again?

And why does he have his minions crowding up the elevator?

I can't understand what they are busy laughing about when all my attention is on the expanse of Terrence's back.

Not that I have a choice in the first place since his whole figure is overshadowing mine. Suddenly, an image of a little boy crosses my mind. One that is shorter than me when we are the same age. 

'Urgh.' I shake my head trying to erase the memory but doing so, my forehead bumps into his shoulder. 

He turns back just when I glance up. I am quickly captured by those ink-black irises that I have to look away or else, I'm afraid I'll be sucked by those impassive eyes.

When the door finally slides open, I bolt out right away. I don't even notice I have been holding my breath the entire time until I am gasping for air as I make my way to the cafeteria.

Maybe this is a sign I have to avoid elevators at this point.