🖌 13. Boundaries Have Been Drawn

It's early in the morning but strange eyes follow me as we walk across the hallway. I particularly take notice of the bunch of girls whispering at each other the moment their eyes darted in my direction. 

It's contrary to the gazes I received when I am with those people who shine brightly whenever they are — basically my family and my current groupmates — which are not here at the moment so why?

My brow rises, assuming that they are talking about me. I look okay though. I'm pretty sure I don't have any issues and no one seems to recognize I'm from the Evans.

"Why are you going that way, Remy?" Maize says and grabs a hold of my hand, causing us to stop midway.

My gaze focuses on her and realizes that she might be the reason. I have already forced myself to forget that this friend of mine has abandoned her jumpers and hoodies. She has woken up and chose to let the rainbow spit on her.

"You know what? I really do think you should've changed your outfit?" I suggest once more, glancing at her atrocious ensemble. I mean, rainbow pastels can be cute, not these intense colors like she's a walking unicorn.

"No way! Rainbows are my lucky charm. I badly need the good luck since we'll be sharing the same stage with all these star-studded students in our groups."

"But that doesn't mean you have to be so colorful from head to toe. Maybe that brooch will be enough? Or just the socks?" I try again but of course, I'm instantly revoked.

"Duh. Isn't it that the more I have, the luckier I will be?"

I breathe in a sigh for how many times today. "Fine. Do whatever makes you happy."

"As I should," she beams and suddenly pokes my shoulder. "How about you? Aren't you nervous?"

"It's just a class presentation. It's not like we'll present it to the whole department?" I reply.

"Huh? Isn't it changed? We're meeting at the Conference Hall."

It takes a moment to sink in and all I can say is what.

"OMG! You didn't check your phone again, right? No wonder you are heading to the lecture room earlier. I can't believe you're not a social media person when you dress like some influencer."

I almost roll my eyes at her comparison. Maybe this is why we get along so well because we love to make opinions on others' fashion choices. Still, I'm confused about what she meant and check my phone.

In our class group chat, the professor's lengthy message springs up.

The more lines I read, the larger my eyes became, specifically after reading the name written in capital letters.

"My dad is coming?! Oh my god, why?!"

I don't care about my appearance anymore after being jolted from shock.

"Can I call in sick? Tell them I have a fever or something," I say, my voice cracking at the end.

"Okay, okay, now you're overreacting." She chuckles, obviously having her nerves relaxed while there's me who's shaking on my feet now.

"Is this for real?" I repeat, glancing back to back to my phone and Remy.

"Obviously. I thought you were pretty chill because Mr. Evans is here. I didn't know you are not aware."

"Dang it. What should I do?"

"Report? It's not like everyone's coming..." She turns to me. "Right?"

With that said, I doubt not everyone is coming. It's not like I'm overestimating my dad's fame but he's like the Tom Cruise or Leonardo DiCaprio of the art world. Everyone just seems to know and flocks around him.