🖌 24. Better Version

"Hello, hello? Are you there?" Maize's waving hand enters my view, quickly pulling me from my stupor.

I don't know how long I've been stuck in this haze. My mind has been filled with Terrence's confession. How can he say he likes me? Doesn't it mean it has been mutual all along?

'But...'

"Earth to Remy?" Maize's voice comes again. "Are you going home in that state?"

"Uh, yeah?"

"Are you sure? You haven't even finished packing." She gestures at my open luggage and my belongings cluttering the floor.

"It's okay." I dump everything at once, not bothering to fix it neatly. I can't even organize my thoughts at the moment so I don't think I can do this too.

"Are you really okay? You still look out of it, girl."

I snap my head in her direction. Sometimes, it makes me wonder how can there be someone as observant as Maize.

"Yes, I'm okay, really." I zip my bag and pull it up.

Walking by the mirror, I check anything amiss in my outfit today. Make-up's perfect and hair is in check. In my peripheral, I catch the empty canvass. I haven't started anything and yet here I am getting distracted again.

'I'll do it next week.' I promise myself before I swivel toward Maize who is still in her bed, her eyes back on her phone.

"I'll go first. See you on Monday," I say.

"Wait. I'll go down with you. I'm gonna buy some snacks." She jumps out of bed, grabbing her hoodie and keys.

"Aren't you worried about getting fat? You're always eating in your free time."

She giggles. "The only thing I lucked out is having a fast metabolism."

"That's really lucky." If I'm not too conscious, I won't mind eating what I want to. Nonetheless, I can always indulge in some coffee and brownies.

We exit, heading straight to the elevator. The two of us are alone until it pings on the third floor.

The person I'd been avoiding yesterday struts inside with his friends. The small space becomes smaller with all these guys crowding on us.

Maize and I are pushed back. But when his back draws closer, I catch my breath. It's as if all oxygen is stuck in my lungs. 'Why is he freaking close?'

Maize is nudging my waist but I am too hyperfocused on the man in front of me. The elevator slides open to the second floor again, and now more people are inside.

'But why did he have to turn?' Why does it feel like his chin is resting on my head? Why is his breath prickling my scalp?

It's been years so why am I still acting like a fumbling idiot as if I'm still infatuated with him? I badly want to scold myself but my mouth is shut close.

Luckily, we're already on the ground floor.

"What is that?" Maize says the moment we are out of the elevator and far from anyone's hearing distance.

"What?"

"I'm not blind. He's practically hugging you with no hands."

I let out a laugh, although it comes off more nervous from the slight tremble. "He's not."

"I was pulling you to my side then he faced you and does he really have to lean on you? Isn't he moving too fast? OMG!"

"It's not that. Anyway, I'll see you next week. My driver's already at the parking."