🖌 05. For the Worst

I have always thought my Dad is the hardest person to wake up but Maize seems to be worse. When I agreed to wake her up yesterday, I never had the intention to follow her suggestions, however, that surely won't be the case.

We have planned to go before nine and this time we need to be on time. I shake her whole body but it feels more like rocking her back to sleep.

I take a deep breath, get some pillows to cushion her, and pull her out of the bed. I guess having an older brother pays off in times like this.

She finally opens her eyes, looking at me dazed and confused.

"It's already noon, you know?"

That quickly shot her up to her feet. "What?" Her groggy eyes become wide as saucers as she gazes at me.

My lips curve, meeting her blank look. Her blonde strands are a mess. Her eye bags are a little darker from staying up late and the drool marks imprint on the side of her mouth.

I motion for her to wipe it before saying, "I'm joking." I turn around, going back to my dresser. "It's eight o'clock. Better get ready. It's our first day today."

She groans and slumps back into her bed. "Whoever starts school on Wednesday?"

"Ours. Hurry up now. Though this is the first day and no teacher will give lessons right away, we still shouldn't be late. We have orientation this morning, in case you forgot."

"Fine, fine," she grumbles.

The running water from the shower fills the room while I curl my hair. It is naturally wavy but I have to make sure it will be impeccable. I sit down and get my brushes. I'm addicted to the no make-up-make-up look lately and it suits me the best. After all, this is the first day and I should be presentable.

Concealers are perfect to hide my blemishes and the light shadows accentuate my eyes. I apply a red lip tint on my cheeks and lips to complete the look. I swivel and take the outfit I prepared last night.

A light brown vest overlays my baggy white sweater. I pair it with a plaid beige skirt that reaches up to half of my knees. I grab my dirty white platform boots to achieve the light academia aesthetic I am aiming for.

I check my bag and make sure I have everything I need. Essentials, a charger, a sketchpad, a pencil case, and a notebook will suffice today.

The door clicks open and Maize walks to her closet. While I take half an hour to prepare, it's only minutes for her. She has no qualms about being in her underwear as she wears her baggy mustard long sleeves and pairs them with faded jumper jeans.

She simply ties her hair and grabs her backpack. Her almond-shaped eyes frame the light brown irises twinkling with excitement.

"Let's go," she says.

I nod, taking my bag, and we head outside.

🎨 🎨 🎨

As expected, the campus is swarmed, especially the Diamond Boulevard where all main buildings are located.

Going from Valley Dormitory to the Picasso Building takes longer than I expected. Thankfully, I and Maize have already toured the University yesterday, or else, we will get lost due to the crowd.

Maize leads the way, her hand latching on my wrist, while my eyes roam around. No wonder it is jam-packed since there are visitors as well.

"I hear the seniors will be having their exhibit and some alumni will come too," Maize says, full of zest as her steps become quicker.

"It's the school's tradition after all," I reply.

"Why don't we drop by first?"

"Okay, but are you sure? The exhibit will be up until Friday and I'm betting it is ten times more crowded there."