🖌 20. Right Time

The morning sun is not obvious inside the library halls, and so does the number of students lurking around. It's early on the weekend but there are plenty of people who are still spending their time here.

I would've been one of them if I was able to reject Sid's invitation yesterday. I inhaled a sigh of regret as I hand over the books to the librarian.

When I'm done, Uriel's next. He has borrowed more books than me and the deadline is still this afternoon. However, we have to get going before eight as Sid have messaged last night.

Dark shades contour his under eyes, making me feel a little guilty. I'm sure he's busy but he still comes along.

"Are you sure you want to join? It's the weekend and I'm sure you need some rest."

His lips simply tilt. "How many times have you said that these past hours, Remy?"

"But..."

"It's okay. I like hanging out with you," he says just as though his words don't have an impact on me.

The librarian clears her throat. She's sending a glare while a blush creeps into my cheeks. I bite the inside of my gums to ease the shyness and happiness tickling my heart.

Knowing that he's the hooded guy just intensifies everything at the moment. Maybe this is the sign I'm looking for. Maybe Maize is right. 'Should I confess later?'

He gets my bag as he straps his own.

"I can take it." I reach out but he lifts it up while circling his other hand on my wrist.

"This is a library, students," the librarian reminded, sternness in both her tone and expression.

"Sorry, Ma'am," he says before turning to me. "Come on. Let's not keep them waiting."

I can only nod, my focus stuck on our hands. Please tell me, I'm not reading too much on this. I'm not really imagining how he's been so touchy and flirty, am I?

We walk back to the parking area. It's pretty easy to spot the other three who are seating at the shed when they have a rainbow trolley that sparkles even from a distance.

I know I pack a lot for an overnight trip with my duffel bag but Maize takes it to another level. She looks up, noticing us.

"Here, Remybear!"

A snicker comes from my side.

"I think I should start calling you Remybear too." He's obviously muffling a chortle but the laughter in his voice is still undeniable.

"I'd rather, you'll not," I grumble. It's okay when it's Maize but I don't want my crush calling me a bear when I still remember that he compared me to a dog yesterday. Do I look like some sort of animal?

I glance at the pink floral summer dress I'm wearing. 'I'm pretty sure I'm not.'

My looks and fashion taste are the only things I'm confident about, especially when it is something I have carefully prepared. After all, these are the shells that hide the mediocrity within me. If these fail, what more can I have?

"Hey, what's wrong?" Uriel pauses and so do I.

"Huh?"

"You're suddenly quiet."

I keep my lips tight, struggling if I say what's on my mind. With him this attentive, how am I supposed to protect my heart?

"Nothing," I say, shaking my head.

In the end, I can't bare my insecurities with the person I want to impress. It's better to let them see the best version of me than be the focus of their disappointment.