🖌 15. Masterpiece In The Making

Painting class is held once a week. It's our last subject every Wednesday and it never fails to dampen my mood. Not because I dislike it but the fact that I still have zero progress on my project.

Today is time for practical exercise but my focus is not on the model holding a bunch of props at the center.

"Are you okay, girl?" Maize reaches out to me with a hushed voice.

She must have misunderstood my expression so I offer a slight smile. "No, it's not about that."

"Are you sure? Anyways, just forget them. If they persist, let me know. We can always ask for the teachers to help us—"

"Miss Campbell, is your mouth supposed to be doing the work for you?" Professor's voice echoes in an instant.

Maize stands up, her head bowing. "Apologies, Professor Lind."

"Alright. Quit yammering and look at your blending. Practice more, Miss Campbell. You too, Ms. Evans."

I jerk in my seat at the mention of my surname.

"I understand, Professor." We say at the same time. Maize returns to her work while I try to figure out how I can do this.

It won't be submitted but still, I want to show I have what it takes too. I take a deep breath and concentrate this time.

However, as Professor Lind resumes her inspection, I catch it from my peripheral when she stops at Uriel's easel.

"This is well done, Mr. Acker. In just a short time, you manage a well-thought-out piece. The interpretation is not over-exaggerated and you manage to implement your own twist. I must say, I'm impressed with such quality," she comments while her focus does not leave the canvass.

I silently applaud Uriel in my heart. Professor Miranda Lind is one of the sternest and most difficult-to-please teachers in the university, according to my brother, and earning a compliment is the rarest of the rare.

"Thank you, Professor."

"Alright, keep up the good work," she says and does her rounds again.

It didn't come off as a surprise when Terrence and Fleur received praise as well. But for some reason, she hasn't left Terrence's side.

The drawing room is quite smaller than the lecture halls, and it does not help that Professor Lind speaks in a loud note that resonates in enclosed walls.

"I see what's bothering me for a while, Mr. Wright. This lacks the certain charm that your paintings have. In terms of technicalities, you are leap and bounds from your peers and have finished it quickly. However, if you compare your current work to the rest, it'll be the same if you give them more time. As I mentioned before, your paintings are your medium to express yourselves." She glances around and walks back to her table as she speaks, "Even for a practical exercise, I'd appreciate it if you do your best. A good painting is often not deliberate when it is created, after all. This might be your masterpiece in the making so don't cut some slack when doing your work. And that goes the same for all of you, understand?"

Simultaneous replies fill the room and do their work with more vigor, well, maybe except for me.

🎨 🎨 🎨

When the class is over, Maize and I have decided to grab some coffee and relax,

"Remy, wait!"

I turn to see Uriel running towards us.

"Hi. What is it?" I ask, mentally patting myself on the back because I don't feel that much shyness anymore when meeting his eyes.

It's the least I can do after he had stepped out to help me earlier.