🖌 26. Guilt of What-ifs

I seriously don't know how I and Terrence have managed to be productive last night after dampening our spirits to the drain. Nonetheless, the dark circles that cannot even be covered by applying a heavy layer of concealer, somehow prove the efforts I spent last night.

Efforts I'm about to dump in the trash.

The several sketches I've done are now crumpled into distorted spheres.

"It's only Tuesday but you already look haggard, Remybear. Just what time did you sleep?" Maize mutters as she dresses up for class.

I raise my index finger.

"One? But I was still awake. I honestly thought you won't go home if you haven't messaged me. Took me by surprise that you remember you have a phone."

"No," I answer, shaking my head. "I only have an hour of sleep."

"OMG! Better take a half-day then."

"Can't."

Her lips quickly form into a teasing arc. "Can't get enough of Terrence even after spending the whole night with him? You two progress so fast!"

"Urgh, of course not. We have a summative quiz for Design, remember?"

"What?"

My brow rises as her eyes turn to saucers, appearing dumbfounded. "What?"

"Oh my god! It's today?"

Bobbing my head, I shoot the paper to the bin. I grab my bag and head to the doorway. "Yeah. Come on."

"Oh no, oh no, oh no. I haven't studied a single thing. I thought it was supposed to be next week!"

"Hurry up then. It's still in the afternoon so we can have time to review." Somehow, I perfectly manage to divert her attention and get ready to class.

After submitting the papers, those who are done can leave. Inside, only two people are left. One is clearly Maize looking like she's calling all the gods she knows.

Though I already studied for the weekend, I can't guarantee to be the top. Nevertheless, my grades are average at best, It's much better than failure.

Whatever I do, it's always double the effort but no matter what, it's still the same. How can there be people who barely do the minimum and can still ace it? How lucky.

When the bell rings, Maize finally hands her paper. Her shoulder slumps as she makes her way toward me.

"I'll treat you," I say.

Her head quickly whips to my side. "Sure!"

Now beaming, we head to the nearest café. We just finished our order when my phone vibrates in my pocket.

Leo's name pops up, making me answer right away.

"Give me a sec." I exit the crowded store before answering. "Hello, what is it?"

"Where are you?"

"At the café near the school. Why?"

"Oh? Don't tell me you forgot. You're only halfway through the semester and you're that occupied to forget?"

My brows wrinkle visibly. "What do you mean? I'm not in the mood, Leo."

"It's Vincent's birthday."

"What?" I instantly put down the phone and check the day. It is indeed Vincent's birthday and there's even a notification.

My whole mind was all about school that I forgot my baby's birthday. I even bought a gift already but still forgot about it.