🖌 07. Charade

'Act like a stranger. Act like a stranger. Act like a stranger.'

Taking a deep breath, I force the ends of my mouth to resemble a smile as I look up. "Hello."

He offers his hand. "Hi, I'm Terrence Kristoffer Wright but I'm sure you already know me."

My expression quickly sours but completely darkens when he mutters his next words.

"And you are?"

He already called me 'buddy' but he still asks like he has no idea. This annoying personality who sees himself as high as mighty has never changed.

'At least I'm not the only one who's into this charade.' Or maybe I'm too assuming?

Frankly, he's the person at the top so why will he even remember me after all these years? As if a common girl he has met during childhood is someone worth recalling. It's solely me who still feels salty about the past.

"Remy Evans," I reply and simply watch how he pulls back his hand to his pocket.

"Remy... Nice name."

I nearly sneer. He's basically complimenting himself. After all, he is the one who made the nickname when I am at the peak of my fussiness. In the past, I even refuse to be called 'Rem' because it has been too masculine for me.

"Want to grab some coffee?" he prompts.

"No, thank you," I refuse within a heartbeat.

As much as I love coffee, I'd rather not stay with this person for long.

"Then do you have a suggestion? I'd like to discuss what will be our upcoming plans for the—"

"Actually, it's okay. Let's talk about this next time?"

"You sure? I have my own drawing studio at the Atelier. I'm planning to lead you there so you can use it if you like during our classes."

'Show-off.' I grumble inside. Of course, he has his 'own' drawing studio. Unlike other students who have to book and rent a studio in the Experimental and Foundation Building, those people with great talent and personally scouted by the university are given their own studio.

"Thanks but it's okay. I won't disturb you," I decline, nonetheless.

A stagnant pause passes between us. He peers over my shoulder before breaking the silence.

"Just asking, have you read the notice?"

"Huh? What notice?"

"They have new rules this year for the buddy system." He points behind me with a grin on his face that rubs me the wrong way.

I twist and immediately read the very first post on the board. My jaw drops further the more I go over the new rules.

"This is absurd!" My voice modulates to a screech.

Swiveling back to Terrence, he has his arms crossed and looks at me with amusement.

"How can this be? Why do we have to take a picture in every foundation class? I thought we'll only have some projects and that's it? Is Dean Wright crazy?"

Giggles reach my ear after I let those words out. I actually forget that we're still in public. My mouth quickly thins. I can't destroy my image here. If someone recognizes me as an Evans and recalls my lack of manners, it'll affect my family's reputation.

"Actually, let's go get coffee," I say.

This is the lesser of two evils, after all.

🎨 🎨 🎨