▪︎○ One ○▪︎

Pittsburgh, 2023.

Her grip tightens around his small hand, her breathing laboured as she practically drags him along behind her. She feels the ache in her legs intensify as she pushes them to move faster; the echoing gunshots behind them motivating her to keep on the move.

“Olivia...” The boy whimpers fearfully as his hand momentarily grips hers a little tighter for comfort.

“Just a bit further...” She pants out while barely sparing him a backward glance as she turns a corner and ducks behind a rusted pickup truck while pulling his small form with her and signalling for him to remain quiet with a finger to her lips.

They wait with ears perked up for the sound of footsteps. It takes a moment before Olivia picks up on four heavy sets. They're quick and intimidating enough to send her anxiety surging as she reaches out once more to take hold of her brothers hand with trembling fingers.

She closes her eyes and holds her breath while praying that the hunters pass without noticing them. But to her dismay, the footsteps slow until they abruptly stop altogether on the other side of the truck they are tucked behind.

“We fucking lost ‘em!” The hunter furthest away growls.

“They can’t have gotten far. It’s just some bitch and a kid, we’ll find ‘em.” Another says whilst swinging the pipe in his hand in a batting motion.

“Alright. Spread out. Let’s find ‘em and head back.” A new voice pipes up, his patience wearing thin.

“Joel...” The last of the four says, his uncertain tone catching Olivia off guard. This man sounded defeated, damn near ashamed and unsure of the role he was to play. It was uncommon, especially for a hunter.

“I said spread out.” The man with the Texan drawl repeats, a slight annoyance rising in his tone.

“This ain’t right.” The same hesitant man breathes to his fellow hunter quietly.

“We ain’t doing this now, Tommy. Get your ass walkin' and searchin'. I won’t tell you again.”

“Olivia,” Matt’s small voice captures her attention. She turns her head, offering him a reassuring smile. “Are we going to die?” He asks with fearful eyes.

Olivia feels her heart break as she shakes her head instinctively. “No. We are going to get out of here.” She assures confidently. “We just need to stay low and quiet. Okay?”

The boy nods as his hand squeezes hers as if to signify that he understands. The two share a brief smile before Olivia musters the courage to peek up above the cars bonnet, her gaze sweeping the area to locate each of the four hunters. She spots three of them walking the area just a few feet away, neither of them spotting her.

Then, she leaned back with brows furrowing in confusion at the missing hunter she was unable to locate. The truth was, she needed to know his location. Otherwise, moving from their current hiding spot was more of a risk than it already seemed.

She sighs quietly and turns to her brother. “We need to move. They’ll find us eventually if we don’t." She explains.