▪︎○ Three ○▪︎

Ellie's eyes widen the moment the three step outside, her gaze sweeping the area and locking in on the three dead bodies scattered around the small space. "Woah," she breathes as she keeps in step with Olivia, who frowns at the sight. "We heard the shooting... but what happened?" The question is directed to Joel as he walks just a few paces ahead of them.

"The fireflies." he answers simply.

"Same thing's gonna happen to us if we don't get off the street." Olivia warns.

"He's the pro," Ellie shrugs, "we're following him."

"Which way, Joel?" Olivia asks over the sound of the curfew being announced along with a warning regarding harbouring criminals.

"This way," he directs whilst jogging ahead slightly, down a short set of stairs and to the right where he again descends some concrete stairs and runs down a narrow path behind a gate.

"Stay low, Ellie." Olivia instructs as two military trucks pass by them, just on the other side of the rusted fence.

"I am," the teen huffs with an eye roll.

The two take a right once more, following Joel in silence as he takes a final left turn. "Where are we going?" Ellie presses impatiently.

"Up there." Joel points upwards to the broken fire escape above, his gaze remaining straight ahead. "It'll get us to the north tunnel."

"How we supposed to reach that?"

"Just give him a minute," Olivia tells the teen whilst keeping her attention on their surroundings, her ears having picked up on Joel's heavy breathing as he wheels a large and heavy green dumpster to the space below the ledge to the remaining fire escape.

"Here we go, ladies,"

"Good thinkin' old man." Olivia compliments with a smirk as she steps up to the dumpster and climbs atop it, then in one effortless motion, she pulls herself onto the remaining fire escape and turns to assist Ellie up onto it.

"Thanks," Ellie pants as she stands up and dusts off her jeans before looking down to watch Joel climb up.

"Don't mention it," Olivia mumbles with dipping brows as Joel pulls himself up and strides past her with a scowl, being sure to avoid her gaze as he does so. "Come on," she gestures to Ellie with her head, signalling for her to also follow Joel into the apartment building.

"So, this tunnel. You use it to smuggle things?" Ellie asks.

"Yep,"

"Like illegal things?"

"Sometimes," Joel replies simply again, an edge to his tone.

"You ever smuggle a kid before?" Olivia asks with a smirk, knowing full well that the situation was a very unlikely one to occur twice.

"No, that's a first." he drawls whilst glancing to Olivia from the corner of his eye as she comes up beside him.

"Something on my face, Miller?" the brunette teases whilst turning her head and catching him staring, her smirk still present. Immediately, Joel clears his throat and averts his gaze awkwardly causing Olivia to chuckle. "Didn't think so." she mumbles under her breath.

"So," Joel pipes up with the intention to shift the focus and change the subject, "What's the deal with you and Marlene anyway?" he asks Ellie curiously.

"I don't know. She's my friend, I guess."

"Your friend, huh? You're friends with the leader of the fireflies. What're you, like twelve?"