▪︎○ Twenty Eight ▪︎○

Author's Note - Please Read!

Hi. Yes, I've placed the note at the top of the chapter - my apologies.

I wanted to warn you that this chapter is not even close to being all that good in my opinion, but I've rewritten it a dozen times and am feeling defeated so I posted the latest version I'd written before I delete the story altogether. (Yes, I'm that frustrated.)

I also want to apologise for the lack of updates recently, I've been struggling with my mental health alot lately. Writing has always been a good distraction but for this story it was tough. I just couldn't write the way I wanted to so I shifted focus onto other stories.
Recently my fresh fanfic.
But I want to bring my focus back to this story too. So, please share any feedback or words of encouragement with me. I need them right now.

Again, sorry for the disappointing chapter - Hannah. 🖤

▪︎○▪︎○▪︎○▪︎○▪︎○▪︎

The room was dark, barely lit by the singular candle resting on the desk beside Henry and Sam. While the window - though previously filtering in bright sunlight - now remained near black; offering only a view of the dark night sky above that remained decorated with a hundred bright stars.

On the other side of the office, Ellie stood with her pack resting on her back and a smile on her face. She kept her head dipped as she observed the sleeping pair on the sofa; her eyes soft and drowning in a fondness for the two. She couldn't deny how sweet they looked together, especially in this peaceful moment.

In fact, it seemed the two brought one another deep comfort more than anything else given that neither Joel nor Olivia mumbled or fidgeted much in their sleep like they usually did. Neither of them appeared to be plagued with nightmares during their nap which was unusual.

"They look good together," Henry commented whilst stepping up beside the thoughtful teen with a small smile.

"Yeah," Ellie agreed as her gaze swept over the pair currently snuggled up on the beat up sofa, before sighing heavily.

She didn't want to have to ruin this moment by waking the two, it seemed unfair. But Henry was clear; it was time to execute their plan for escape and so, begrudgingly, she reached out and shook Olivia's shoulder gently.

It took a few firm nudges before Olivia's soft green eyes peeled open slowly with evident confusion. Her head lifted from Joel's chest before tilting an inch to the right the moment her gaze landed on the teen looking down at her.

"Uhh..." Ellie stalled whilst shuffling awkwardly on the spot and flicking her gaze onto Joel where he still slept beside Olivia. "Henry says it's time," she shrugged.

The words, though few, did manage to spark life in the young woman, causing her to nod and stretch slightly with a small tired smile. "Okay," she mumbled whilst turning to the serene looking man to her left who still had a loose hold on her.

Her smile widened with adoration, after all, he did look rather cute like this. That usual stubborn scowl was long gone. The wrinkles he often sported around his eyes and forehead had also disappeared while his breathing steadied and the arm he had somehow wrapped around her waist, tightened briefly. It was sweet, so much so that her heart skipped a beat and her hand instinctively reached out to caress his cheek tenderly. All the while, Ellie watched her curiously with a smug smile.