▪︎○ Fifty Four ○▪︎

___________________

Okay, so this update is gonna be confusing for those of you who saw the message I posted earlier on my profile.

But the truth is, today has been a tough mental health day for me, and I was in desperate need of a distraction this afternoon. Of course, writing had always been a big distraction and escape for me.

Therefore, before I even really understood what I was doing, I was writing this new chapter.

It might suck - it probably does. But it's written, and I want to post something for you guys. I've tried proof reading it three times but I'm unable to focus long enough to truly judge its worthiness of being posted.

Anyway, here it is: Chapter Fifty Four. I hope it's okay.

Thank you for the on going support.
____________________

Spring 2034

The abandoned highway stretched out ahead of them; decorated with dozens upon dozens of deserted cars. It seemed never-ending as Olivia groaned with held tilting back in protest and her back twisting in an effort to stretch out her aching muscles.

Truth be told, the last few months of travelling had been tough. Between moving from city to city on foot, healing from past trauma and mentally preparing for whatever awaited them in the hospital they were closing in on; the trio were feeling rather anxious and tired.

Their muscles burned while their minds raced, each one of them concerned with what Ellie's immunity truly meant for she and the world they'd come to know. The idea of a cure seemed insane to the older couple, especially after twenty years of constantly being reminded that such a thing was impossible.

But, as they walked along the highway with the hopeful teen on their left, they allowed themselves to indulge her. Even if they could never truly believe it as deeply as she appeared to.

"That sun needs to take a damn hike," Olivia suddenly grumbled in an effort to break through the silence the trio seemed over come with.

Joel smiled as he slowed to a stop beside her with his gaze drifting to the sign that hung to their right. Meanwhile, behind him Ellie found herself lost in her thoughts; her gaze lingering on the wall lining the left hand side of the highway.

Olivia watched curiously as the teen shuffled thoughtfully towards it with brows dipped and lips pulled into a thin line - seemingly troubled. "El?" she called while instinctively approaching the silent teen with mild concern; her own gaze now drifting to the wall to look at what had caught the girls attention.

"Oh," she realised with a frown falling on her soft features and eyes locked intently on the deer carving etched into the concrete.

"Keep fighting," Her heart dropped as those chilling words echoed hauntingly in her ears while images of that sick, sadistic smirk flashed in her distressed mind. She felt herself snap back to that moment back in the cabin; trapped, alone and violated. "We like that." Her emerald eyes glassed over before clenching shut in a desperate attempt to rid the memory from her mind.

Meanwhile, beside her fragile and tense form, Ellie stood looking just as tormented and broken. Her soft green eyes were distant and sad as they studied the deer that reminded her so much of the winter just gone. Her hands trembled as the image of David's body flashed cruelly in her mind; torturing her.