▪︎○ Fifty Two ○▪︎

__________________

SMUT WARNING
__________________

It didn't take them long to find a stable shelter for the coming days. In fact, after travelling only a few miles outside of the cannibal infested town, the trio stumbled upon a secluded one story house.

It appeared abandoned and far enough away from the large group they'd escaped from for them to deem it suitable.

So, after giving the house a quick once over for hidden infected and dangerous people, the trio once more secured the windows and doors. Then, as silence consumed the heavy air between them, they turned to the dark living room.

"Come on, El." Olivia murmured gently while cautiously reaching out and placing a hand on the fragile teens shoulder. "Let's get you cleaned up while Joel gets a fire going." she turned briefly to offer Joel a small smile before turning and leading Ellie to the nearest bathroom.

They walked slowly, neither one feeling all too energetic or eager to leave the southern man alone. Not only because they felt a surge of fear rush through each of them at the idea of being away from him, but also because they had missed him deeply.

For the first time in weeks they felt like a family again. They had each other. No longer was Joel on the brink of death nor were the girls fighting to survive a group of sick and twisted men.

No, now they had nothing but silence and sanctuary within the small house... along with a pit of shame and guilt in their stomachs.

"Here," Olivia mumbled lowly while reaching out and opening the white door at the end of the hallway they'd walked down. She smiled briefly as her eyes fell on the surprisingly clean bathroom that thankfully lacked a mirror.

Ellie nodded again in silence with feet shuffling over the threshold until she found herself leant against the sink with head dipped and focused on her fidgeting blood smeared hands.

"Okay," Olivia sighed out softly as she placed her pack on the countertop and pulled open the zip. She rummaged intently until she found her water canteen and some clean rags, alongside some antiseptic fluid she had found back at the cabin. Then, with a brief concerned glance shot the silent teens way, she shrugged off her coat and rolled up her sleeves.

"Coat off," she instructed gently with a smile offered, though to her dismay, Ellie never looked up long enough to see it.

"Yeah..." Ellie whispered under her breath as she unzipped the blood splattered coat before peeling it off and handing it over to Olivia with a frown.

She watched as the older woman tossed it into the bathtub without a second glance, her movements instinctive rather than truly thoughtful - something Ellie found herself thankful for.

She kept her head dipped down and her gaze downcast while Olivia moved expertly beside her to dampen all the rags she'd set out. Then, with a finger gently placed under her chin, she allowed Olivia to guide her head upwards; tilted up towards the ceiling.