▪︎○ Seventeen ○▪︎

The bloater was relentless, never once slowing or showing mercy as he spat spores again and again at the group, roaring with an anger that only seemed to intensify with every bullet shot at the thing. It had also proven to get more determined as time went on, going as far as charging at them whenever it got within a close proximity.

Olivia tried to keep her complete focus on the bloater but her gaze kept straying to Ellie, checking to make sure she was keeping good to her promise to stay back. Thankfully, for the most part she seemed to be, only going as far as throwing bottles and bricks at the bloaters head from a distance whenever she was offered the opportunity to.

However, the group were slowly feeling that hopelessness creep in, their strength and confidence suddenly dwindling as more runners climbed through the window above the bleachers - the bloaters bellows having attracted them.

The battle between them and the infected appeared endless. Their bullets and their energy levels were both running very low, they needed to take this damn bloater out soon or none of them would come out of the school alive.

"Joel!" Olivia shouts across the gymnasium, a sudden, albeit obvious idea coming to her.

The older man flicks his focused gaze onto her with dipped brows, clearly wondering what was suddenly of importance to the woman.

"The nail bomb!"

He shook his head at himself, suddenly feeling rather stupid for not having thought to use it sooner. He ran behind a large box whilst instructing Bill and Olivia to cover him. Then, he rummaged through his rucksack until he feels the nail bomb, carefully he pulls it out, a wicked smirk pulling on his lips.

"Take cover!" he calls out before tossing the bomb at the bloaters feet and ducking back behind the box.

Barely a second passes before the bomb explodes, taking the bloater and the remaining runners out with it. A cloud of spores remained where the bloater had been stood, whilst the rest of its body was scattered in pieces around the gym.

Olivia whistled cheerfully as she stepped out from behind her cover and approached Bill, with Ellie walking up to join her. "Okay," she begins with a wide smile, "I'll admit those nail bombs are pretty awesome."

Bill cracks half a smile, "I know my shit. Some of us have skills outside of a simple bow and arrow." he taunts.

"Yeah and one of yours is being a giant dick," Olivia retorts with a playful smirk, finally unfazed by the round man. Well, that and she was just glad to still be alive and in one piece.

"Everyone okay?" Joel strode up, his eyes lingering on Olivia's face with concern.

"Yeah," Ellie nodded along with Bill.

Olivia opened her mouth to answer but the Southern man did something unexpected, he reached out and with a gentle touch, he ran his thumb along her cheekbone, causing her to wince. He pulled his eyes to meet hers, an angry look in his eye though she was certain it was aimed elsewhere rather than towards her. He allowed his fingers to slide down her face softly, his touch alone rising goose bumps along her skin and a flutter in her stomach. His fingers curled around her chin, tilting her head upwards and inspecting the small graze along the underside of it.

"What happened?"

Olivia shrugged, her mind too busy thinking about his touch and the feelings it rose within her. "Liv?" Joel impatiently prompted. Again, she shrugged half heartedly, "the bloater was charging at me and so was a damn runner, I skidded across the floor to avoid them both but I somehow managed to graze my face along some equipment down there. I guess I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings." she explained sheepishly. "Is it bad?"