Part 1 - The Ball

Elizabeth cringed once more at her mother's high pitched laugh which rang around the supper room. The more she drank the louder she became. Elizabeth did not think her sister Jane's cheeks could possibly grow any rosier in embarrassment, as her mother once again began talking about her engagement with Mr Bingley, when no such agreement yet existed. As usual her father was sat tucking into his food and doing absolutely nothing to censure his family's behaviour. Did he truly not care about being the ridicule of the neighbourhood? 

Glancing to her left she saw Mr Darcy watching her once more from further down the table. No doubt judging her profusely for her family's poor behaviour. Well she would not be cowered. Raising her chin slightly she stared back defiantly until he looked away. Breathing out in relief Elizabeth quickly turned back to her mother and attempted to redirect the conversation. But her two younger sisters did the job for her as they came running up, out of breath and giggling with several officers in tow. Apparently her mother was not the only one to have overindulged at the punch bowl. One of the officers, Mr Wickham, spotted Elizabeth and came over, his face lit up with his usual charming smile, which Elizabeth automatically returned.

"Miss Elizabeth, I hope you are having a pleasant evening."

"I am Mr Wickham, and yourself? I am so glad you decided to come."

"Why should I be the one to be chased away? I have done nothing wrong." he insisted, "It is for Darcy to hide from me if he does not wish to acknowledge our acquaintance. After all it is he who has caused me much difficulty in life."

"Indeed" murmured Elizabeth, slightly taken aback by the vehemency in Mr Wickham's voice. Of course they had spoken on this subject previously but Mr Wickham's tone held more anger than before. 

"I must say Miss Elizabeth, you are looking particularly fine tonight. That dress does show off your very fine figure." He gestured towards her person with his glass, almost spilling its contents before catching it just in time, "Whoops" he laughed. 

Elizabeth joined in with his laugh awkwardly, unsure how to respond to his inappropriate comment regarding her figure. She was coming to realise that Mr Wickham was rather foxed. Was everybody at this ball drinking too much? She had tried the punch herself and it did not appear to be any stronger than normal. As Wickham swayed slightly too close to her person, Elizabeth took a step back to avoid him. Luckily Lydia materialised and grabbed hold of Wickham's arm rather possessively. "There you are Mr Wickham, you must come and dance with me, for you promised me two dances and have only danced with me once thus far." She practically dragged him away and Elizabeth could not help but feel slightly relieved.

She was not the only one. Darcy had been watching Elizabeth smile and laugh with Wickham from across the room, and been burning with increasing jealousy. How did that scoundrel manage to ingratiate himself into society so well? Did Elizabeth not see beyond the charming facade he portrayed to the world?

Taking a sip of his drink he calmed himself and continued watching as Elizabeth was now accosted by Mr Collins. The man had barely left her side all evening and Miss Bingley had made several comments alluding to them being a couple. He hoped to God she was wrong. Just because he could not marry Elizabeth did not mean she deserved to marry the simpering idiot that was Collins. Not to mention the fact that it would mean him having to see her every year at his Easter visits to Rosings. He could not bare it. He needed to get Elizabeth, with her fine eyes and quick wit, out of his head and move on quickly. The plan was to leave Hertfordshire and never return. Never see Elizabeth again. His heart tightened in protest but he knew it was the right thing to do. 

Draining his glass he caught sight of Miss Bingley heading his way. Blast would the accursed woman never leave him alone. Quickly he ducked behind a crowd that were making their way back into the ballroom. Usually he would find refuge in the library but Miss Bingley would expect that and the last thing he needed was her attempting to compromise him by being alone in a room together. So instead he slipped out of a side door onto a small patio. Moving away from the building so he could not be seen from the window, he decided that a stroll in the cool air was just what he needed.

As supper ended and everyone began to return to the ballroom, Elizabeth was frustrated to once again to find Mr Collins by her side. She had done incredibly well to separate herself from him at dinner but other than that the incessant man had not left her alone. And he never stopped talking. Lady Catherine this and Lady Catherine that. Why on earth would Elizabeth care so much about Lady Catherine's thoughts and opinions, she had never met the woman and quite frankly never intended to. 

Having already suffered two dances with the clumsy man, her toes barely surviving, she had tried to encourage the man to seek other partners, but no one else seemed willing. Not even Charlotte. And Mr Collins had apparently decided that sticking to Elizabeth's side like glue was the most enjoyable way to spend the evening. He was completely oblivious that Elizabeth did not feel the same way. She would have to speak with her father in the morning. It was clear that Collins was beginning to have certain expectations in her direction and she had no intention of accepting him. Unable to take it any further she turned to Collins and abruptly interrupted him mid sentence, "Mr Collins I am feeling terribly parched, would you mind fetching me a lemonade?"

"Of course, of course. Lady Catherine does always stress the importance of staying hydrated on nights such as this and it would be my pleasure to assist you. Lady Catherine would often..." the man bowed and scuttled off, still mumbling under his breath about Lady Catherine.

The moment he was out of sight Elizabeth made a dash for the exit. Slipping out of a side door she decided that a stroll in the cool air was just what she needed.