Part 16 - The Wedding

After the events of the day Darcy was reluctant to let Elizabeth out of his sight, and only after the promise of his cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam to guard her through the night, did he reluctantly leave her at Longbourn for her final night as Miss Elizabeth Bennet. Though both villains who had threatened his beloved were securely locked away, Wickham with the Militia and Caroline at Netherfield, he still spent a fitful night plagued by nightmares of Elizabeth once again being taken from him. When his valet entered his room the next morning he took one look at the dark bags under Darcy's eyes and immediately called for a cool compress.

"Mr Bingley asked me to inform you that his sister left for Scarborough about fifteen minutes ago with two footmen escorting her to ensure she reaches her destination."

"Thank you Fletcher." Darcy murmured, though he would not truly relax until the priest had announced him and Elizabeth man and wife. He still had visions of his Aunt Catherine, or worse his Uncle Matlock, interrupting the service.

Eager as he was to claim his wife he dressed quickly and barely ate any breakfast. With his sister, Bingley and the Hursts he made his way to the church, arriving a good 30 minutes early.

It was an anxious wait as the pews filled up with the Lucases, Kings, Phillips and other Meryton residents. Finally the Bennet's arrived, Jane giving Darcy a small smile and nod to inform him all was well.

And then there she was, being escorted by her father in a cream coloured gown. She looked breathtaking. Darcy's heart thumped so much he was convinced it was going to burst from his chest any moment. She looked up with a shy smile and gave his hand a gentle squeeze once her father had placed it in his.

And then the priest began, "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today..."

So overwhelmed with emotion he almost choked on his words when it came time to take his vows. But with a deep breath he spoke the words with a loud clear voice, infusing every syllable with the depth of his feeling as he promised to love Elizabeth for evermore.

He smiled softly and stroked her hand with his thumb as she promised the same. Did she mean the words she said? Certainly her recent words and actions indicated a growing affection for him, but was it love? Oh how desperately he wanted her to love him as he did her. As the priest made the final declarations Darcy made his own silent vow to do everything in his power to earn and keep his wife's love.

And then he was permitted to kiss her. Conscious of the presence of his wife's friends and family he kept it short and sweet, knowing there would be plenty of time for more passionate kisses later. A cheer went up from the assembled crowd and Darcy beamed down at his wife, who smiled equally joyfully up at him.

The wedding breakfast which followed was an exuberant celebration which would be talked about in Meryton and Longbourn for many weeks to follow. Many of those in attendance commented that they had never seen a happier groom and there was more than one joke about what had happened to the prideful Mr Darcy who had first entered Hertfordshire several months ago. Darcy did not hear any of these remarks so enraptured as he was with his new wife. He did not leave her side save for one dance with Georgiana.

The party continued long after the happy couple had left in the Darcy carriage heading for London. The newly married pair waved farewell to their friends and family before sitting back as the carriage rolled down the Netherfield driveway.

Elizabeth blushed as she realised Darcy's eyes were on her. He smiled and moved to sit beside her, gently taking her hands, he carefully removed her gloves, placing them on the bench opposite, before raising her hand to his lips and imparting a soft kiss on the back. "You have made me the happiest of men Elizabeth. I swear to you I shall do everything in my power to make you happy in return. I am yours to command in every way."