Part 11 - Darcy's return

The carriage pulled up to Longbourn and Darcy stepped out first. He had barely helped Georgiana to the ground when the front door opened and Elizabeth ran out. To his surprise she ran at him and with a relieved cry of 'William' threw herself into his arms. Instinctively he caught her and wrapped her into a warm embrace. He didn't quite understand her relief and joy at seeing him but wasn't one to complain when the woman he loved was showing him such affection. Instead he held her a little tighter and buried his head into her hair, breathing in the lavender scent she was always carrying that he adored so much. His heart once again squeezed and somersaulted as he imagined his future with Elizabeth where warm greetings such as this would be a regular occurrence in his life.

Aware that they were still in full view of the house he reluctantly pulled back and glanced down at his betrothed. As much as he had enjoyed the welcome it was rather unexpected. Although Elizabeth had certainly begun to warm to him in the few days before his departure he felt certain that her running to him and hugging him indicated something was amiss.

"Elizabeth, are you well? Is something the matter?" he asked whilst gently brushing a hand across her cheek. She shook her head with a small smile, "All is well now you have returned."

Darcy thought his heart might explode with joy at her words though he tried to temper it down knowing her words could mean any number of things, not that she had missed him specifically.

It was only as Elizabeth turned to her right that he even remembered Georgiana was standing beside them. She was staring at them wide eyed but with a large smile on her face.

"My apologies, Elizabeth, may I introduce my sister Georgiana. Georgie, this is Miss Elizabeth Bennet, soon to be Mrs Darcy." He added the final words with pride as both women curtseyed at each other.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Darcy."

"The pleasure is all mine, Miss Elizabeth. I am delighted to meet the woman who has captured my brother's heart so completely. It is a great joy to see my beloved brother so happy."

Georgiana's statement caused both Darcy and Elizabeth to blush and glance at each other awkwardly for whilst it was true to say that Mr Darcy was head over heels in love they both knew that Elizabeth was not.

Luckily Jane Bennet appeared in the Longbourn doorway at that moment to break up the awkward silence. After further introductions were made Jane bade them all come inside to the parlour where she said everyone else was gathered. Elizabeth pulled a face but quickly hid her grimace to guide Georgiana through the entranceway.

Entering the parlour Darcy was surprised to see not only the entire Bennet family but Mr Collins too. He was sure that the man had left the area for good after his proposal was rejected. The parson looked equally shocked to see him. Glaring at Elizabeth he quickly rose and went to her side, grabbing hold of her arm rather forcefully, he attempted to drag her back to where he had been seated.

Darcy immediately stepped forward, "Mr Collins, please remove your hand from my fiancee's arm."

Collins did not however, instead pulling Elizabeth so hard that she stumbled against him, "I am afraid you are mistaken Mr Darcy, Miss Elizabeth is my fiancee and I am pleased to say you are released from your obligation and free to do your duty to Lady Catherine de Burgh and her daughter Miss Anne de Burgh who I know will make you the happiest of wives and..."

Darcy angrily stepped forward cutting Collins off, "You will release MY fiancee and hold your tongue if you do not wish to be called out for your assault."

Collins gulped and released Elizabeth's arm as he took several steps back. He did not, however, hold his tongue, "But Sir, your Aunt..."

Darcy gently reclaimed Elizabeth with an arm around her waist. Anger filled him as he saw her rubbing the place which Collins had previously been gripping. He was aware the odious man was still talking but he did not hear a word as he focused on making sure Elizabeth was alright. She looked up at him gratefully, "Thank you, he has been quite insistent while you have been gone."

Immediately Darcy was further alarmed, "Has he taken any liberties? Has he hurt you?"

Elizabeth quickly shook her head and placed a hand on his chest to reassure him, "No, he has not touched me other than what you have just witnessed. He has just been most adamant that I am to marry him not you. My protests have gone entirely ignored by everyone. Since Lady's Catherine's visit everyone has..."

"My aunt was here?" Darcy interrupted in surprise.

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow quizzically, "Yes. Did you not receive my letter? I thought that was why you finally returned."

"No I did not. Things took a little longer to sort out in town than I anticipated but I returned as quickly as I was able. My aunt was here?" He prompted.

"Yes" Elizabeth sighed, "she came well over a week ago now and declared you to be engaged to her daughter. She said some rather unpleasant things and told everyone that marriage to you was impossible. She then insisted that Mr Collins offer again for me. I, of course, refused once more but received no support from anyone here. Save Jane of course."

Darcy shook his head in embarrassment, "I can only apologise, my love, for leaving you unprotected and taking so long to return." Raising his voice to address the rest of the room, "Let me state clearly for the record, I am not, nor have I ever been, engaged to my cousin Miss Anne de Burgh. I am engaged to Miss Elizabeth and Miss Elizabeth alone. I apologise for my aunt's unannounced visit and the unfortunate misunderstanding. My trip to London was successful and I have the marriage settlement. I have also obtained a special licence. Miss Elizabeth and I shall be married as soon as she names the date."

"But Sir, your duty..." Collins spluttered.

"My only duty is to the woman I love and have I not warned you already Collins to hold that tongue of yours." Collins' jaw snapped shut with an audible clunk at Darcy's scowl. Darcy slowly scanned the room making eye contact with each and every member as though daring anyone else to speak.

It was Jane who once again broke the awkward silence, "Mr Darcy, Miss Darcy, it is extremely warm and crowded in here, perhaps a walk around the gardens would be pleasant."

With a grateful nod in acceptance of her idea Jane, Elizabeth and the Darcy siblings quickly gathered their things and exited the house. As they did so they all simultaneously let out a breath of relief, which caused them to laugh at their synchronicity and released the tension. A long and pleasant walk followed in which Jane and Elizabeth delighted in getting to know Georgiana further and no one mentioned Collins or Lady Catherine once.