Part 15 - Rescue

Having been unconscious Elizabeth was not exactly sure how long ago her kidnapping had taken place, but judging by the sun's position it was still morning. She did not recognise the building she found herself in but knew that it could not be far from where she was taken. The chances of it still being on the Netherfield estate were high and therefore, she reasoned, her chances of being rescued must be relatively high too. These thoughts did not comfort her much though as she sat in silence watching Wickham watching outside. Every minute felt like an hour and yet frequent glances at the sun told her it was not so.

In fact it had barely been two hours since her ordeal when Wickham suddenly saw something which made him sit up straight. At first Elizabeth hoped it was a rescue, but the smile on her captor's face soon told her it was not.

"Our mutual friend has arrived" he said rather jollily, "Alas that means our time together is coming to an end. I'm sure she will wish to speak with you, though my dear. After all she did go to all the trouble of arranging this little tete-a-tete."

Wickham pulled open the barn door and strolled out into the sunshine, "Good morning, fancy seeing you here Miss Bingley, please do come into my humble abode."

Miss Bingley? Elizabeth stared in disbelief as Caroline Bingley entered the barn and smiled as she saw Elizabeth bound on the ground.

"You?" Elizabeth could barely speak, her shock was so great. She knew Caroline disliked her greatly but she had never imagined her capable of this.

"Gosh, it smells something awful in here." Caroline sniffed the air disdainfully. She glanced down at Elizabeth with that same look she had given her many times before. As though she is nothing more than a piece of dirt on her shoe.

"Why?"

"Because Darcy is mine" she hissed, "For five years I have worked to show Mr Darcy that I would make the perfect Mistress for Pemberly and you think you can come along and undo it all in a matter of months."

"Er, Miss Bingley not to rush you but there is the small matter of payment." Wickham held out his hand in expectation. Caroline reached into her reticule and produced a thick wad of bank notes. "Here, Mr Wickham, a job well done. You may take your Miss Bennet and start your new life wherever you so choose."

Wickham grabbed the handful of cash and then quickly headed towards the exit before turning and casually saying, "Oh I've no need of Miss Bennet, she'll only slow me down."

Caroline paled, "That wasn't the deal, you were supposed to take her with you."

But Wickham only grinned, "Pleasure doing business with you." He tipped her his cap and then disappeared. The sound of a horse neighing and then hoofbeats riding away signalled that Wickham had planned this escape all along.

Slowly Caroline turned back to look at the still tied up Elizabeth, "Well what the hell am I supposed to do with you now?"

"Let me go," Elizabeth helpfully suggested.

Miss Bingley scoffed and began to pace. Elizabeth watched in amusement as Caroline fretted over what to do. Now that Wickham was gone Elizabeth felt a little better about her situation. She felt confident that she could fight or run from Caroline Bingley if she tried to hurt her or take her anywhere else.

But neither of those were necessary because a shadow from the door caught both of their attentions. "William" Elizabeth gasped in relief at the sight of Mr Darcy striding into the barn with purpose.

"Mr Darcy, what are you doing here?" Miss Bingley asked in shock but her question was ignored as he raced to his Fiancee's side.

"Elizabeth." He grasped her face gently between his hands, stroking her cheeks tenderly as his eyes scanned her body, "Are you hurt? Did he touch you?"

She shook her head in answer but could not help the tears which rushed into her eyes at the sheer relief. He had found her. As she knew he would. Reaching behind her, he made quick work of undoing the ropes which had bound her hands, and the moment she was free she threw herself into his arms.

William held her close and whispered reassuring words, whilst Caroline watched on awkwardly and in a slight panic. Suddenly she seemed to regain her senses, "Oh Mr Darcy, thank goodness you are here. It was Mr Wickham, he was here and he had Miss Eliza tied up but when he realised he had been discovered he escaped and I was just about to free Miss Eliza so we might return to Netherfield and tell you..."

Darcy turned to glare at her and cut off her protestations of innocence, "Save your explanations for your brother Miss Bingley for I do not believe a word of them. And I think you'll find that Mr Wickham has been successfully detained outside."

"He has?" Elizabeth asked in disbelief as Caroline went pale.

"Yes, my love. I followed Miss Bingley here and then when Wickham tried to leave I was able to capture him quite easily." He gently brushed back the curls from her face as he stared at her adoringly, "He will not get away with what he has done."

Elizabeth nodded and felt herself relax against Darcy once more, knowing now that her captor had himself been captured.

"Can you stand my love? We must return to Netherfield and inform your family you are safe."

Elizabeth tried to stand with Darcy's aid but her head began to spin and she felt as though she may be sick. Seeing her sway Darcy quickly lifted his betrothed into his arms and carried her out of the barn to his waiting horse. There she saw Wickham plonked beneath a tree not twenty yards away securely tied up. Gently lifting her up into the saddle, Darcy held her there a moment to ensure she would not fall. He then strode over to Wickham and untied the length of rope which had connected Wickham to the tree trunk. "Up" he commanded, before leading Wickham back to the horse and reattaching the rope securely to his saddle to ensure that Wickham would be coming with them. He then climbed up behind Elizabeth and turned the horse towards Netherfield.

"What about me?" cried Caroline indignantly.

"You walked here, you can walk back." Darcy answered shortly before giving his horse a gentle tap and setting off. One precious cargo safely wrapped in his arms and another being forced to follow behind.

Only one more chapter and the epilogue to go :) Don't forget to vote and comment, any constructive criticism gratefully received!