Part 10 - Lady Catherine

Elizabeth was sat in the parlour two days after Darcy's departure to London still thinking over their conversation before he had left. Whilst most of her rage was aimed at Wickham she still held plenty of anger for herself. How could she have been so stupid, so naive? To have been taken in so easily by a handsome face and charming smile. She had believed every word he said so easily and yet now when she thought back there were so many holes to his story. The very fact that he had so readily told her of his supposed past on their very first meeting should have been clue enough that he was not as he seemed. She had held on to his every word though, and he had so easily turned her opinion against Mr Darcy.

No, that was unfair. She had disliked Mr Darcy before that. From the moment he had insulted her at the assembly to be precise. Gosh, was her vanity and pride so wounded that she had condemned him entirely based on that. It would seem that was the case. An insult that he had now apologised unreservedly for and said he never meant in the first place. Elizabeth groaned in frustration. If only she had not heard his comment, or taken it to such heart. If she had not so readily believed Wickham's tale and always assumed the worst of him. Would things between them be very different now she wondered? She knew they would be. Despite her feelings at the time looking back she could admit to having enjoyed their debates when she had been at Netherfield for Jane. She might have considered him a friend. Maybe more. She thought about their dance at the ball, and their kiss. He was very handsome. And he said he had admired her for a long time. That he loved her. Maybe their whole engagement would still have come about but in a much different way. She sighed loudly to herself. Really it didn't matter how their engagement had come about, what mattered was the future now. A future that Elizabeth was feeling decidedly more positive about the more time she spent with her fiance. Of course he was currently away in London and Elizabeth took the fact that she was missing him as a positive sign.

It was Lydia who first spotted the opulent carriage making its way down the Longbourn driveway. She had been moping for the past few days after being told that she was not allowed to leave the house unchaperoned. For once their father was being rather strict, having suddenly decided Lydia and Kitty were not old enough to be out in society and certainly shouldn't be mingled with the soldiers so freely. Lydia was furious at this and loudly blamed Elizabeth for her enforced captivity.

The entire Bennet family, save for Mr Bennet, were in the front parlour, taking part in individual activities when Lydia's exclamation distracted them all. "There's a carriage coming down the drive."

Elizabeth's heart leapt, had Mr Darcy returned already. Her mother instantly jumped up too, "Is it Mr Bingley? Quick Jane, put that away, fix your hair."

But both their hopes were dashed when Lydia declared. "It's not Bingley's carriage. It has a coat of arms but I don't recognise it."

This detail sent Mrs Bennet into quite a flutter as she practically pushed Lydia out of the way to look out the window, "A coat of arms? Are you sure? Of my goodness, who could it be?"

They all watched as an older woman dripping in lace descended from the carriage. She looked around briefly with a sneer, disdain evident on her face, before moving towards the front door. As one the Bennet family turned towards the parlour door, all waiting with bated breath for the unexpected visitor to be announced.

But there was no announcement. Instead the wealthy unknown woman strode purposefully into the room with a flustered and apologetic looking Hill following behind. The imposing lady looked the entire family up and down and clearly found them wanting. "Which of you is Elizabeth Bennet?"

The answer was pretty obvious as every pair of eyes swivelled to look at her. Elizabeth did not know who this woman was but she refused to be cowered in her own home. She stepped forward keeping her head held high, "I am Miss Elizabeth Bennet."