Part 2 - The Attack

Elizabeth took a deep breath and casually ran her fingers along the bush beside her as she wandered about the garden. She was far enough away from the ball not to be able to hear the music and she was enjoying the silence. She had had such hopes for tonight, and in particular for her sister Jane, but it had not turned out as she had thought. Her family's behaviour, always a source of pain, had been even more awful than usual. Mr Collins' preference for her was growing markedly concerning and the infuriating Mr Darcy had been watching her disapprovingly for half the night. Even her hopes to enjoy a dance with Mr Wickham had been tarnished by his inappropriate comment and inebriated state. With a sigh she sat down on a stone bench and lent backwards to look up at the stars. It was a clear cool night and Elizabeth felt herself slowly begin to relax.

A crunch of gravel was her only warning that she was not alone. Abruptly opening her eyes Elizabeth found Mr Wickham approaching, with a concerning gleam in his eye. He wore his usually charming smile but something was rather off about it tonight and Elizabeth immediately became wary.

Wickham collapsed onto the bench beside her "Miss Elizabeth, fancy finding you here."

Elizabeth could smell the alcohol on his breath and automatically lent away. "Mr Wickham, I think you have had too much to drink."

"Maybe..." Wickham replied cheekily, and then leant even closer, "Would be rude not to enjoy Mr Bingley's excellent whiskey, would it not?" He laughed so uproariously at his own comment that he almost fell off the bench. When he realised that Elizabeth was not laughing with him he threw his arm about her shoulder, the other hand creeping onto her knee. "Oh relax Miss Bennet, so uptight all the time. Stay a while, we can get to know each other better."

Elizabeth jumped up to leave but Wickham grabbed her arm with a surprisingly strong grip. "Oh come on, I know you want to. I've seen the way you look at me."

"I do not know what you are referring to and I certainly do not want to get to know you any better at present. Kindly remove your hand from my arm."

In an instant Wickham's whole complexion changed. From a teasing smile to a menacing scowl in the blink of an eye. His grip tightened. "You tease," he spat out. "You think you can flirt with a man and then not pay up when the time comes. I've spent weeks listening to your endless babble and dealing with your stupid sisters. I deserve some kind of reward for my patience."

Ignoring her protests he gave a firm tug, pulling Elizabeth onto his lap and instantly wrapping his arms around her so she could not leave. "Mr Wickham, please, no. Let me go. You are drunk, you cannot mean it." She struggled against him but his drunken state had not lessened his strength.

"Oh but I do mean it" Wickham laughed, "It's been a while since I've had a virgin."

Elizabeth truly began to panic now as Wickham used one hand to grip the back of her neck and hold her head in place as his lips attacked hers. Twisting desperately to avoid his mouth she pleaded and fought with everything she had. Managing to free one arm she punched him as hard as she could. It was enough to shift them slightly, but rather than release her, the only outcome was for them both to fall off the bench. Wickham now lay on top of her and was rather angry.

"You stupid chit, lay still! You'll enjoy it, I promise." He grunted as he grabbed both of her hands and forced them up above her head. 

Wickham took advantage of the new position to force one of his knees between her legs. Using one hand to hold her wrists captive, Wickham reached down and began to pull at her dress, running his hand up her leg as he bunched the fabric up. Elizabeth screamed but she knew that she had wandered much further from the house than she had intended. 

As Wickham realised that he was kneeling on some of the material he shifted his weight slightly in order to release it. For a fraction of a second Elizabeth had room to move and she took it. Pulling her leg up she kicked out at Wickham as hard as she could and thankfully connected firmly enough right between his legs. Wickham let out an anguished groan and immediately released her hands as he cupped himself and collapsed. With a shove Elizabeth pushed him off of her.

Scrambling to her feet and not looking back, she took off, as Wickham remained motionless on the ground behind her.