Part 9 - Engaged

The news of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy's engagement spread like wildfire through Meryton village, thanks to the two youngest Bennet daughters. Soon discussions were being had in drawing rooms across the neighbourhood. Had the initial rumours of a compromise between Elizabeth and Mr Wickham been false. Had it in fact been Mr Darcy? But then further rumours of Mr Wickham's conduct had certainly proven to be true, stories of entanglements with other young ladies in the area and his credit at stores being unpaid. What of the inappropriate actions of Mr Collins during his proposal? They could not be denied given the witness accounts of Mary King and Maria Lucas. To have three such compromising situations attributed to her in the space of twenty four hours put Elizabeth Bennet in a very poor light. Whether true or not her stellar reputation had disappeared in the blink of an eye. But an engagement to the wealthy Mr Darcy confused the population of Meryton endlessly. Should they cut their acquaintance with the Bennets or not?

Meanwhile the Bennet's themselves were in just as much confusion as to how the engagement had come about. Elizabeth refused to elaborate further on Mr Darcy's words about compromise. The man's evident admiration of Elizabeth bewildered everybody given his previously thought disliking of her. Neither Mr Bennet nor Mr Collins were happy about it and whilst the former simply shut himself away, the latter was quite vocal in his objections. He continuously told Elizabeth that the engagement was a mistake, that Lady Catherine would not be happy and that Mr Darcy was supposed to marry her daughter Anne. Whilst Elizabeth ignored him entirely Mrs Bennet was sent into a flutter. She kept asking Lizzie if she truly was engaged and whether she thought Mr Darcy would change his mind. It was exasperating for Elizabeth.

After a trip to Meryton was met with nothing but stares, whispers and even avoidance from people Elizabeth had previously considered friends, she desperately sought out a long solitary walk to clear her head.

As she sat on a large smooth boulder at the top of Oakam Mount Elizabeth contemplated everything that had happened in the last few days and everything that was set to happen now that she was engaged to Mr Darcy. And in that uncanny knack that he seemed to have of always finding her, the man himself appeared at the bottom of the hill on horseback. He spotted her and seemed to hesitate before dismounting and making his way towards her. He approached shyly, attempting to gauge whether he was welcome or not, but a smile from Elizabeth put his mind at rest.

"May I join you?"

Elizabeth nodded and shuffled over slightly so as to make room for Mr Darcy to sit beside her.

"What brings you up here this afternoon? I thought early mornings were your usual walking times."

Elizabeth smiled at him already knowing her habits, "That is true but I found myself in need of my favourite view to cheer me up. I had been in Meryton with my sisters." She grimaced as she told him what had happened, "It wasn't the most pleasant experience. Everyone was staring and whispering. People who I considered friends crossing the street to avoid me." She shook her head ruefully, "I told my sister's I had a headache and would walk home early but decided to come up here instead."

He took her hand gently, "I'm sorry you were treated like that. People can be cruel."

Elizabeth shrugged awkwardly, "It is a rather uncomfortable situation to be in, forced to marry due to compromise, but I am making the best of it." Darcy frowned at her words. He had been up half the night contemplating their future and his own feelings. He had gone round and round in circles, wavering between telling Elizabeth everything he felt in one go and possibly scaring her, and taking a slower, more cautious approach.

Deciding that being honest and open from the beginning was the best policy, he turned to face her more fully. Rather abruptly, as though torn from his lips unexpectedly, Mr Darcy said, "I love you."