Part 7 - Rumours and Consequences

It was the day after the proposal and two days after the ball that Elizabeth Bennet's world truly came crashing down. She had spent the rest of the previous day in her room, avoiding Mr Collins and her mother and father by claiming a headache. She did not think things could get any worse than the horrifying prospect of marrying Mr Collins but she soon discovered she was wrong. They most certainly could.

She entered the breakfast room the following morning with a renewed determination to speak with her father alone and reason with him. He had said the choice was hers and her choice was a firm no. But his insinuation that doing so would be wrong for both her and her family needed addressing. She did not see how refusing Mr Collins would ruin her family's reputation nor her sisters chances of making good matches.

As she sat down at the table to glares from her mother and giggles from her younger sisters she tried to remain composed. All sense of composure was lost though when her aunt Phillips burst into the room unannounced just as breakfast was finishing.

"Fanny, Fanny, have you heard? It's all over Meryton! Everyone is talking about it! I can't quite believe it, you must be inconsolable. I cannot imagine your agony."

"Whatever is the matter? What has occurred?" Mrs Bennet began fretting before she even knew what it was that she was supposed to be upset about.

Mrs Phillips gasped, "you do not know? Oh my dear, you poor thing. Oh and to be the one to have to tell you, oh my dear sister it is simply dreadful. Your whole family is ruined beyond repair. Your daughters' stained forever more."

Mrs Bennet paled and even Mr Bennet put down his newspaper at this dramatic declaration.

"There are rumours everywhere my dear, that Elizabeth has been compromised. At the ball. That she was caught with none other than Mr Wickham!"

Mrs Bennet gasped while Elizabeth could only stare in horror, all blood draining from her face. Every pair of eyes in the room turned to her. She felt herself go faint as she struggled to stammer a response, "Who.." she quickly stopped herself. She had been about to ask who had seen them but realised that that was tantamount to an admission of guilt. With a gulp she started again, "Who would spread such horrible rumours?"

"It's everywhere dear, everywhere!" Exclaimed Mrs Phillips, waving her arms about to emphasise her point.

"It's not true, it cannot be true" cried Mrs Bennet, "Lizzie?"

Elizabeth knew in that moment she had to make a choice. To admit the truth would see her family destroyed and her reputation unrepeatable, she possibly would be forced to marry Wickham to end the scandal. She could not do that. She had to salvage this situation somehow. So she lied. She lied with every ounce of conviction she had.

"Of course it is not true mama. I would never give myself to another before marriage. I deny any inappropriate behaviour with Mr Wickham. Indeed I barely saw the man at all at the ball. I did not even dance with him. Lydia saw him more than me!" Her voice grew higher and louder as she spoke, trying desperately to convince all that her words were true.

"Yes mama," Lydia jumped into the conversation. "Wickham is such a wonderful man and he much prefers me, everyone knows that. He danced with me twice..."

"It does not matter what is true, what matters is what everyone is saying," Mrs Phillips interrupted, "and what everyone is saying is that Lizzie is ruined."

"Oh heavens above," sobbed Mrs Bennet, "what are we to do? Mr Bennet, Mr Bennet, did you hear? We are ruined. Lizzie has ruined us. Mr Bingley shall never offer for Jane now. None of my girls will marry, we will be destitute..."

Mr Bennet stood abruptly drawing everyone's attention, "Lizzie, my study, now!"

Elizabeth meekly followed her father down the hallway. She didn't know what to say or do. How could this have happened?