Chapter 5: A Load of Betrayal

It was 1914

It was 1914. Christmas time to be specific. As usual, the Mikaelson family threw a gala. Kol was undaggered.

Cameron entered the room where her uncle was digging around, throwing things on the floor as she slid open the doors.

"Doing a bit of pilfering before cocktails?" She asked.

Kol stuck his head out, "Nik stole something that belongs to me, I'm simply taking it back."

"And I'm simply going to tell him." She said, smiling at him as she turned around.

"Wait!" Kol spoke, making her turn around. He took a frustrated sigh, "What if I said I'm close to finishing a dagger that would work on him?"

"You wouldn't dare use it." Cameron said despite her eyes glistening with hope a little.

"Why? It's no more than what he's done to me. Or your precious Uncle Elijah or beloved Aunt Rebekah. And it's not like we'd be killing him. Just giving us some time to live. And for your darling Marcel to be with Rebekah."

"You're entirely serious." Cameron stated, her face rather shocked.

"Haven't we all earned the right to live out of his shadow?" Kol said, "Are you with me, niece?"

Cameron considered it and gulped, looking to the side. She then looked at Kol and gave a graceful smile, "You can count me in. But do hurry downstairs. And throw on one of father's jackets, he'll notice your absence if you're late."
They smirked at each over and went separate ways.

Cameron went back to the party and straight to her father who looked over the guests. She spotted Kol's date, Freya; Marcel (now a vampire); and more of the attendees.

"Father," she spoke to Klaus who turned to her.

"What is it, my love?" He asked, looking over the people still, considering them all his subjects.

She gulped, feeling guilty for betraying Kol but more nervous for whatever punishment her father would serve to her for siding against him, "It's about Kol... he's trying to find the diamond so he can create a dagger to put you down."

Klaus's eye went of the attendees and to his daughter, "And where did you hear this?"

"Kol directly." She told him.

Klaus looked angry, then smirked at Cameron, "That's my girl." He booped her nose then walked off.

Not long after, the Mikaelsons gathered on the staircase. She stood between Klaus and Rebekah as the man snapped a photograph of them all. Kol and Cameron made eye contact. He looked pleased with himself, and Cameron attempted to shoot the same back at him.

Klaus began to clink his drink, preparing to make a toast,
"As you know, when the Mikaelsons arrived in Louisiana we brought with us the tradition of holiday bonfire season. Now we invite you chosen few to join us in our family's old tradition, of writing wishes for each other and burning them for luck. The holidays are a time for celebrating family, and friends. It is especially gratifying in times when treachery runs deep," Kol then looked at Klaus, confused and suddenly worried, "To know you have someone you can trust," he raised his glass, "A toast. To you, my daughter," he looked down on her and she smiled at him, "To Cameron!"

"To Cameron!" Everyone toasted.

Kol looked at her with betrayal in his expression. It didn't take him long to figure that she'd betrayed him.
He turned around and went upstairs. Elijah zoomed after him. Klaus seconds later.

Elijah grabbed him from behind, holding him in place as Klaus once again addressed the audience,
"Ladies and gentlemen, I apologise for the disturbance. What's a Mikaelson family party without a little squabble?"
He chuckled, then withdrew a dagger for his jacket, piercing it into Kol's skin as he let out a blaring scream.
~~~

It was night

It was night. The guests had left and Kol was in his coffin. Cameron painted, feeling awful for betraying him, yet pleased her father showed her some gratitude.

Klaus entered the room. Cameron paid him no consideration however as he came to her side,
"It's beautiful." He said, admiring her painting of a river surrounded by trees.

"Thank you." She said lightly, carefully adding white shadings to the water.

Klaus sighed, "I know you feel bad about Kol." He put a hand on her shoulder, "You shouldn't, however. You did the right thing. The right thing by me."

Cameron nodded, "I know. Perhaps I feel bad for the misleading trust."

"Yes, well, most do find themselves on such a state after going against a will. You done nothing barbaric, so tonight you will sleep easily." Klaus said. She then looked into his eyes, "It was me or him. You picked me. It was a good choice. An educated one too."

"I don't regret what I did." Cameron said, "He should've known better than to burden me with such a secret. I wouldn't of had you hurt."

Klaus smiled at her. They then hugged,
"Thank you, sweetheart." He said to her lightly.

"It's okay."