Chapter 13: My Saintly Uncle, And Satan Father

Elijah was storytelling to Elena.
"There's a whole family of Originals?"

"My father was a wealthy landowner in a village in Eastern Europe. Our mother bore seven children."

"So your parents were human?" Elena asked.

"Our whole family was." Elijah said, "Our origin as vampires is a very long story, Elena. Just know, we're the oldest vampires in the world. We are the Original Family and from us, all vampires were created."

"Right, but Klaus is your brother. And you want him dead?" Elena asked.

"I need some air." Elijah said, heading to the door, "Still feeling a tad... dead. Come."

Elena followed.
"So as you've seen, nothing can kill and original. Not sun, not fire, not even a werewolf bite. Only the wood from one tree. A tree my family made sure burned."

"That's where the white ash for the dagger comes from." Elena stated.

"Yes." Elijah said, "The witches won't allow anything truly immortal to walk the Earth. Every creature needs to have a weakness in order to maintain balance."

"So if the sun can't kill an original, why is Klaus so obsessed with breaking the sun and moon curse?"

"Right." Elijah said, "The curse of the sun and the moon. It's all so biblical sounding, don't you think?"

"What's so funny?" She asked at Elijah's smirk.
Elijah told her.
"So Klaus drew the Aztec sketches about the curse?"

"Roman scrolls, African tribal etchings and any other culture or continent we felt like planting it in." Elijah said.

"But why?"

"The easiest way to discover the existence of a doppelgänger or to get your hands on some long-lost moonstone is to have every single member of two warring species on the lookout for it."

"So it's not Aztec at all?"

Elijah came closer to her, "The curse of the sun and the moon... is fake. It doesn't exist."
He went over the bridge.

"What?" Elena said, following him.

"Klaus and I faked the sun and moon curse dating back over a thousand years." Elijah told her.

"But if there's no curse-"

"There's a curse. Just not that one. The real one's much worse. It's a curse placed in Klaus."

"What are you talking about?" Elena asked as her phone began to buzz.

"Klaus has been trying to break it the last the last thousand years and you are his only hope." Elijah told her.

"Well, what is this curse?"

Elijah took out her phone, "Your phone will not stop it's incessant buzzing. Answer it, please." He handed her the phone.

She picked up, spoke to Stefan for him to tell her Klaus attacked Jenna. Hesitantly, Elijah let her leave to help her.
~

Finally, Elena did come back.
"Welcome back." Elijah said.

"Tell me," she said, taking off her jacket, "What is Klaus's curse?"
She sat down.

Elijah placed down his glass, "You know, my family was quite close." He sat on the end of the couch Elena sat on, "But Klaus and my father did not get on too well. When we became vampires, we discovered the truth. Klaus was not my father's son. My mother had been unfaithful many years before. This was her darkest secret. Klaus was from a different bloodline. Of course, when my father discovered this, he hunted down and he killed my mother's lover and his entire family. Not realising of course, that he was igniting a war between species that rages until this day."