The Gym

Chapter 8 - Steven Rogers

It has been six months since I have gotten back into this modern world. Rachel has been extremely kind to me and helped me out with the new apartment. I don't even really spend time in my apartment, I spend most of my time at her apartment. 

Right now, I am heading to the gym. I have been having a lot of dreams about the '40s recently and I need to go somewhere to work out my frustrations. 

Once I get into the gym, I wrap my hands in the bandages and start to punch at the punching bag. I keep punching and all of the memories start flooding back.

I put the compass with Peggy's picture on the dashboard of the plane. I know it is time to crash the plane.

I start punching the bag harder.

"You won't be alone," Peggy says to me through the earpiece.

The Red Skull picks up the tesseract.

I punch the bag even harder and the bag starts to tear.

"Oh my god!" a S.H.I.E.L.D. scientist says.

I see myself frozen on a table.

"This guy is still alive!" the scientist yells.

I punch the bag one last time and it comes off the hook and breaks as it falls to the floor.

I breathe heavily and pick up another bag. I hang it on its hook and start to punch again.

"Trouble sleeping?" Fury says. I didn't even hear him walk in.

"I've slept for seventy years, sir. I think I've had my fill." That is beyond the truth.

"Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world." He says while I start to take off my hand tapes.

"I went under, the world was at war, I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost."

"We've made some mistakes along the way. Some very recently." Fury says.

"You here with a mission, sir?"

"I am."

"Trying to get me back into the world?"

"Trying to save it." Fury hands me a file. I see a picture of the Tesseract and the file is filled with all of HYDRA's projects.

"HYDRA's secret weapon," I say.

"Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you. He thought what we think, the Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs. I am sure if you ask Rachel she could tell you all about it. She actually studied it before you woke up. She helped find it too."

"Who took it from you?"

"He's called Loki. He's not from around here. There's a lot to bring you and Rachel up to speed on if you guys are in. The world is stranger than you already know."

"At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me."

"Ten bucks says you're wrong. There is a debriefing package waiting for you back at your apartment. I am sure Rachel has already seen it."

I turn around grab my bag and walk out of the gym.

"Is there anything you can tell us about the Tesseract that we ought to know now?" Fury asks.

"You should have left it in the ocean."

I can't believe Fury. He dragged Rachel and me into this situation. I know she is one of the top agents in the company but still. She is the first person I actually care about in this new world. She is the first person I trust. I don't want her to get hurt.

Once I got back to my apartment, I took a shower then headed over to Rachel's. When I walk in, I see her on her couch with the debriefing packet. She is wearing her glasses and some sweats. She looks so cute without even trying. Wait, what?

"So I see you found the packet?" I say.

"Yup, did some research with this cube before you woke up, I'm in. What time do you want to leave?"