Packing and Parting

Chapter 24 - Rachel Stark

10 Months Later...

Recovery took a long time. It was exhausting not being able to be at the level I once was as quickly as I wanted to be, but hey, I am getting older. 

The first couple weeks after I woke up were painstakingly awkward. Steve helped me out, but we didn't go back to normal until a few months later. It is pretty obvious to both of us that we have feelings for each other, but Steve is giving me my space. I started seeing someone to help me work through some of my problems and I am getting better, but some days are still hard. 

Our kiss was somewhat forgotten. We swept it under the rug and we continued to be just friends. As I was recovering, Fury officially took me off of rehabilitation duty, seeing as Steve had finally become an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. We haven't really worked together in the field since the last mission, what with me recovering and taking it slow and all. I was taken off of the injury list about three months ago. I went on a mission with a few other agents that went well. 

My phone alarm rings, causing me to sit up in my bed and look for it on the nightstand. I check the caller ID, not recognizing the number

"This is Stark," I say, checking the clock next to me. 7 am. 

"Agent Stark, I have an assignment for both you and Rogers," Fury says. 

"Long time no speak to you too," I say into the phone with a smile, getting up out of my bed. I hear Fury sigh through the phone.

"You really are a Stark, aren't you?" I laugh as he continues. "I need you and Rogers in D.C. straight away. Remember when I told you about D.C. almost two years ago? We are finally all set up here. I think you two will be useful assets to have here," he says. I make my way into the kitchen, grabbing a glass from the cabinet. 

"How long?" I inquire as I turn my sink on and get some water.

"Three weeks to tie up loose ends and to be here in D.C. Fury over and out." I hit the end call button and put the phone down as Steve walks into my apartment. He is just coming back from his run, the sweat still glistening on his forehead. 

"Just in time," I say with a smile. "What are we doing for breakfast?" 

"Hey. I couldn't figure out the phone again or I would've called," he says sheepishly. I offer him a small wave, letting him know it isn't a big deal. 

"You know you're welcome any time," I say, getting a piece of bread and the butter from the fridge. He nods as he slides into a barstool across from me. I quickly pour him a glass of water, handing it over to him. 

"I got a peculiar call from Fury while you were out," I say, putting my hands on the counter in front of me and leaning against them. Steve raises his eyebrows as he takes a long drink of water.

"Really? We haven't heard from him in what, ten months?" he says, placing the glass down. 

Fury checked in after our mission turned south and let me know I was out of the field service rotation. 

"Yeah, I know. That is why I thought it was weird. But he brought up D.C.," Steve straightens in his chair as I continue. "We're being reassigned."

"How long?" 

"Three weeks." 

Steve takes a deep breath in and looks around my apartment, his eye finally landing on the window. I see him look outside, watching the cars pass. 

"Okay." He says simply, his eyes still stuck outside.

"Really? I thought I would have to convince you more than that," I say, buttering the piece of bread that had just popped out of the toaster.