I Hate Hospitals

Chapter 28 - Rachel Stark

"Fury?" I ask from behind Steve. 

"I don't remember giving you a key," Steve says, relaxing. He drops his shield from its defensive position and leans into the wall. "Do you?" he asks, turning his head to me. I shake my head, raising my eyebrows.

"You really think I'd need one?" he looks between us. He quickly drops the tough façade. "My wife kicked me out," 

"I didn't know you were married," I mention, stepping towards Nick slowly. Something seems massively off here. 

"There are a lot of things you guys don't know about me," Nick says.

"I know, Nick. That's the problem." Steve starts to walk towards Fury until he flashes us his phone screen. 

Ears Everywhere

"I'm sorry to have to do this to you but I had nowhere else to crash." Fury holds up his phone again.

S.H.I.E.L.D. Compromised

"Who else knows about your wife?" Steve asks, picking up on the code. He holds up his phone once more, getting up to his feet.

You two

"Just... My friends."

"Is that what we are now?" Steve asks from behind me.

"That's up to you," Fury quips, walking slowly towards us. He doesn't make it much further though, gunfire sounding off around us. In the heat of the moment, Steve grabs me and puts his shield up in front of us, protecting me. Once the gunshots stop, I look up from behind the shield to see Nick lying on the floor. I make my way over to him and feel for his pulse. 

Nothing.

"Nurse! Nurse!" I yell as I quickly run out of the room. I break into a sprint down the stairs, searching for our neighbor. I find her making her way up from the basement and stop her. I frantically explain the situation, telling her about what just happened upstairs. She shoves me aside, taking the steps two at a time, and she makes her way into our apartment before I do. I stumble through the door, trying to assess the situation as tears begin to crowd my vision. 

The nurse is bent over Fury, checking his pulse. Steve says something that I can't hear, the white noise muffling my hearing. Steve sees me and makes his way over, checking me for injuries. I stand there stuck, unable to say anything.  Our neighbor turns to the two of us, breaking me out of my shock.

"Do we have a 20 on the shooter?" she questions with her full attention on Steve. 

"Tell them I'm in pursuit," Steve says, grabbing his shield and running out of the door. I watch him leave, then turn my attention back to the nurse and to Nick. 

"Get your hand here," she says, pointing to one of the bullet holes in Fury's chest. I spring into action, placing my hands where she told me to. I feel his warm blood spread over my palms. My breathing becomes ragged, my mind flashing back to my own experiences. Kate... Kate! That is her name. I couldn't remember it before. Kate notices that I am spiraling. 

"Hey, we are only here until the EMTs get here," she says, trying to calm me down. "Breathe." I follow her instructions, focusing on my breathing until the EMTs come. They enter the apartment quickly, getting to work right away. They push me gently aside and get Fury onto a gurney. 

"Go with him," Kate tells me, pointing down the hall after the EMTs as they walk out of the room. I nod to her, following them out of the building. I get into the ambulance after they put Nick's body in it, sitting on a bench beside his head. The whole ride consists of EMTs flurrying around the back of the ambulance as I focus on my hands.