Finally Broken

Chapter 39 - Steven Rogers

It's been a few weeks since Rachel returned, and today is the day that she has finished all of her rehabilitation. Tony decided to throw her a little Avengers get-together as soon as she returned, but Bruce shut him down, saying she was still too weak. So Tony pushed it back to tonight, saying that all of her progress deserves to be celebrated. I'm getting ready, buttoning the last button on my blue shirt, when Sharon opens the door. I smile at her through the mirror.

"Hey," I say as she looks through the door. 

"Hey. So, do we have to go? I find this whole get-together pointless. You guys basically see each other every day." Sharon states a tad annoyed. I roll my eyes and smile.

"Of course we have to go. Rachel's my best friend. And I've left her alone for weeks." I say.

"And I can appreciate that. But I still think this whole thing is pointless," she says as she tucks back out of the door. "Ready when you are!" she calls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the Avengers, even Thor made it for the party. We are sitting around now, waiting for Rachel to make an appearance. 

The conversation is very lively as I listen to Thor's stories from Asgard. He talks about Jane and something called the Aether. Eventually, Rachel emerges from her room, the bruises a faded yellowish purple now. She looks beautiful despite it, her features lighting slightly when she sees all of us in the room. 

I try to look away from her, but I can't. Sharon pinches me on the bicep, shooting me a playful glance. Rachel walks over to the group with her head down, the ghost of a smile lighting her features. Natasha is the first one to greet her. I jump up from the couch and go over to her.

Rachel's POV

Tony's arranged a little Avengers get-together for me tonight. I'm really excited about it because it will be the first time I'll be able to see Steve, all by himself, no Sharon to get in my way. I need to tell him about what I have been thinking. I just need to get my thoughts out. 

I know it's stupid to get my hopes up about Steve, but he did tell me he loved me. Even though he said that as he was dying, it still means something... Right? It has to. I have to talk to him tonight. No wait, that's stupid. I need an outside opinion, Natasha, Clint, and Tony are probably sick of me talking about it. I have to call Sam, he'll know what to do. Plus, he hasn't heard from me since I was kidnapped. 

Wow, what a friend I am. 

I quickly pick up my phone and call Sam, putting it on speaker so I can get ready for the get-together as I talk to him.

Sam picks up. "Hello?" 

"Hey! It's Rachel." 

"Rachel? You're back? Since when? I didn't get a call!" My steps stumbled a bit, surprised no one told him. It's been like seven months.

I sigh. "Good to know that Steve hasn't been a bad friend just to me," I pause. "I'm fine, so don't ask. I just needed to talk to you about Steve." I hear him sigh.

Concern fills his voice. "First of all, are you alright?"

"I think so. Physically I'm healing up but..." 

"I know," he says. "You don't have to tell me about it now, but just know, I'm here." 

I smile. "Thank you, Sam." 

"What do you want to know?"

I shake my head and shrug my shoulders. "What is going on?"

"After about three months of you being kidnapped, the Avengers stopped focusing on mourning for you and started looking for you even harder than they already were. They even completely stopped looking for Bucky. Steve was extremely depressed. He told me about how much he loved you and missed you but how he couldn't do anything. I told him to start looking for you with the others and I think he listened. I guess he met her at the tower one day; she works for the CIA and she was there on task or something."