Fighting and Engines

Chapter 14 - Rachel Stark

As soon as I stumble back into the lab, I frantically look around, checking to make sure that Bruce was still here. To my surprise, he was still here. Tony and Bruce looked bored and they were just sitting around, tinkering with something on their screens. I take a deep breath to calm myself down, making sure I don't panic anyone. After learning a piece of Loki's plan has been about four feet away from me this whole day has been a little unnerving. 

"Um, guys? Don't we have a job to do?" I asked, smoothing the fabric of my catsuit down.

"Well yeah, but the program is running itself just fine. But JARVIS is having one hell of a time trying to hack into S.H.I.E.L.D.'s secure network. Do you have any passwords I could try 140140?" Tony asks with a sarcastic gleam in his eye. 

"Tony, cut it out," I warn as someone walks in right behind me.

"What are you doing Mr. Stark?" Fury asks, clearly angry that his top two scientists are doing nothing productive.

"Uh... kind of been wondering the same thing about you," Tony says, sass turned up to ten.

"You're supposed to be locating the Tesseract." Fury states bluntly, crossing his hand over themselves behind his back.

"We are," Bruce says, standing up and walking over to Tony. "The model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature now. When we get a hit, we'll have the location within half a mile." Bruce says pointing towards the tracking device.

"And we'll have your cube back no muss no fuss," Tony says and then sits in front of the computer screen. "Hey by the way, what IS Phase 2?" he asks, turning the screen around for Fury and I to see properly.

Something drops onto the metal cart behind me. "Phase 2 is SH.I.E.L.D. uses the cube to make weapons." Steve says, pointing to the huge gun he dropped on the counter. "Sorry, the computer was moving a little slow for me."

"Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're...."

"I'm sorry Nick," Tony cuts Fury off, "What were you lying?" Tony turns the computer screen towards the rest of us. "Rach, did you know about this?" Tony asks, pointing to an animated model that was building weapons in front of my eyes.

"These are my designs, but I never had a source to power them. They must've been stored on the S.H.I.E.L.D. server." I say looking at Tony. I quickly turn to Fury. "You never informed me you were using my designs. I never authorized this. I deemed these too powerful if they were ever to have an energy source." I walk over to Tony and lean against the counter with him. He turns the screen back to face us and we study it quickly. "What are these for, Nick?" 

"I was wrong, Director. The world hasn't changed a bit." Steve says. I can hear the disappointment in his voice. I bet he wants his ten bucks back. 

"These are pretty clever," Tony says to me in a whisper. I nod over to him. 

"Well, obviously. I wouldn't make something that was bad," I remark. He smiles and nudges me in the side with his elbow, bringing our attention back to the confrontation. 

"Did you know about this?" Bruce points to Natasha. Clearly, she did by that look on her face. I didn't even know about Phase 2 and I have the same clearance as Natasha. Does Clint know?

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, doctor?" Natasha says, not bothering to respond to the question. 

"I was in Calcutta, I was pretty well removed." He says, sarcasm seething from his voice.