Falling to Pieces

Chapter 34 - Rachel Stark 

I peel my eyes from the screen, watching as all of the S.H.I.E.L.D. safeguards fall away. A wry smile graces my lips as I take my gun off of Pierce's temple and turn back to the computer. All of the data is leaking onto the internet. Everything. My small victory is short-lived as I listen to Sam get shot down over the comms. I don't avert my eyes from the screen, however, trying to keep my face a stoic mask. 

"Done. And it's trending." I meet Pierce's gaze with a smirk, which he returns, causing me to raise my eyebrows in confusion. A scream breaks out over the room, turning my attention away from Alexander's face. I turn my head towards the noise, seeing one of the councilmen screaming and holding his chest. Sparks fly from the pins that were given to us, burning into the chests of the other members as well. I pick up my gun from the computer counter, taking a few short steps forward towards Pierce. I hear another gun getting pulled, throwing a look past Alexander to see Fury aiming at his head as well. Pierce quickly holds up his device, his thumb hovering over the screen. 

"Unless you want a two-inch hole in your sternum, I'd put that gun down." I keep my face unflinching, thinking through my options. "That was armed the moment you pinned it on." 

I slowly put my gun down, bringing it to my side. Alexander grabs it roughly from my hand and aims it at my head as he makes his way over to the computer. The three of us still standing watch each other in silence, each of us waiting for the other to make the first move. A gunshot rings out and I flinch, garnering the attention of both Fury and Pierce. 

"Sam?" I ask, checking over the comms. The chaos that unfolded in the room caused me to tune out the noise that was flooding through the comm. Now, with the painful silence, I heard it all. 

"Not me," he grunts, obviously hearing the shot as well. I whip my attention to the windows.

"Cap?" I ask frantically. Something runs through Pierce's eyes that cause my stomach to flip in panic. 

"Rachel," he grunts, his voice already thick with fatigue. My heart falters as my brain tries to decipher whether or not the bullet hit Steve. 

"30 seconds Cap!" Maria yells through the comm. I hear Steve's heavy breath. That shot had to have hit him. My mind starts racing, trying to run through all of the ways that I could get out of this room and to Steve.

"Charlie-" he is cut off by a gunshot. I gasp quietly, my hands beginning to subtly shake at my sides. Fury looks quizzically at me, trying to keep an eye on Pierce at the same time. My heartbeat begins to pick up its pace, ringing out in my ears. I try to control my breathing, attempting every possible technique I know.

I look back to the big screen in the room, watching the number increase by thousands. If Steve doesn't get this chip in place...

"Charlie lock." My thoughts are cut off by his voice, filled with pain. I feel the beginnings of a crack forming in my heart as I clutch my chest.

"Okay Cap, get outta there," Maria says.

"Fire now."

"Steve!" I whimper, clutching my chest tighter as I look back to the scene outside. This isn't it... it can't be. 

"Do it! Do it now!" Steve yells, his words laced with pain. I shake my head in silent response.

"No!" I try, but watch as the guns begin to fire on the last remaining carrier. The tears brim in my eyes and the wind is taken from my lungs as my knees buckle under me. Fury tries to step forward but doesn't make it in time as I sink to the floor. Pierce aims his gun away from me and over to Fury, getting him to back off. Tears fall from my eyes silently as my breathing runs ragged.