POP SMOKE

"Monday?"

The woman blinked; her mind could not assess the episode that created a bug in her system, "did you see that, Dagmar? The man walked past me as though I was a ghost."

Behind the door, Kenneth heaved. The image of Monday holding the cigarette made the worst memories of his youth surface. The ashtrays in every room. The smoke stench filtered through every fiber, curtains, clothes, carpet, and everything smelt cold tobacco, just like his mother's breath.

The once beautiful Adele Mosely was back to being Adele Willaby. The woman sank with a divorce, a crushed career, and a son to raise. Kenneth was the gift from God she didn't plan to have; at least he had her traits. Losing her husband to another woman was her punishment for taking the man from his first wife. Shattered and bitter the woman tried to give Kenneth the love and education to survive in the world. The boy both admired her quick thinking but detested the wreck she was.

Men seek a replica of their mother. Kenneths' answer to the statement was not sure; see, not at all.

Monday was the total opposite of his mother, from her beliefs to her concept of love. Monday's simplicity represented a haven in the short time-lapse, and the man fell for her. There the guard he began to let down bulked up.

"Dagmar."

"Perhaps he didn't see you," the thriller writer said, trying to sound reassuring when even she was surprised by the man's behavior.

Monday widened her eyes, "come on, we were face to face, and he walked off."

Kenneths' attitude was out of character.

Monday and Dagmar hurried back inside. It was almost time for the announcement. Still, Monday went straight to Kenneths' booth, "Kenneth, what was that about?"

The man turned, "please, leave me alone. I don't want to talk to you."

Monday tilted her head to the side. Was this the same guy who massaged her foot and with whom she played cat and mouse in the morning?

Rob and Meredith watched from afar.

"What's the commotion about?" Rob asked Meredith, who almost jingled on the spot with excitement.

"Rob, you won't believe me if I tell you."

"Try me."

"She smokes," Meredith said. One would think she blew the trumpet of triumph; the woman was ecstatic.

"What?"

"She smokes cigarettes, Rob."

Rob shook his head, "Oh no."

It was terrible. Just when he thought Kenneth had finally found someone with whom he was happy, the relationship popped smoke.

"Yes, Rob, she smokes. Isn't it funny?" Meredith said and slapped Rob's shoulder.

"Did you set it up?"

"No, that's what's beautiful. I didn't lift a finger," the woman said and returned her focus on the quarreling couple. Meredith already played the fantasy of how she would console Kenneth. She hoped he'd be quick to get rid of Monday.

In the meantime, Monday tried to dig for an explanation, "Kenneth, tell me what's wrong?"

The man looked around him, the bells of drama rang, the pressure mounted, "please leave. I don't want you here."

The stern tone left no space for misinterpretations. Monday understood the man didn't wish to see her, she retreated.

Kenneth couldn't believe he missed the detail. Monday didn't even show signs of need. The woman never harbored the smell. Her teeth were whiter than those of a non-smoker. Nor did her clothes, breath, hair, or fingers hold the scent. Oh, she did wash her hands often, Kenneth thought.