BACK AND FORTH

Kenneth didn't sleep; he conjured all his teachings and talks he had done to remind himself of the principles.

"With the commitment, you have consistency; love takes time. When you meet someone who suits your physical criteria, you're attracted. The person smells good, has nice teeth, wears your favorite color, etc. You like what you see. You need time to surpass the infatuation before falling in love; no metric measures the required time. Thus, you'll rub those sticks to make fire, and once lit, you need to be consistent to ensure the flames blow with the same intensity. You can't slack off; don't be lazy because the moment you stop working on those flames, it's closing time."

Kenneth had said this without weighing the importance of his words and the probability he would need them in the near future. What a fool he made telling people how love worked when, in reality, he was a novice in the relationship game.

The orator tossed and turned ponderings only to come down to one question.

Had he ever loved?

Kenneth realized he had no element of comparison. His current situation made him doubt. It was the very first time that the idea of losing a lover tormented him. A heart torn apart and being abandoned was the reason he fled relationships. He didn't want to be under the influence of such a devastating sentiment, yet Monday made Kenneth keen to love. Thanks to her, not only did Kenneth wish to feel the bubbly feelings all spoke of, but he felt capable of giving more than he ever had. Unfortunately, he wasn't ready when love made its presence known.

That's when the scheduling comes in; you want to be the better version of yourself.

A better version.

Kenneth knew it wasn't what he had given Monday, and what broke his heart as he got off the plane at Annecy airport and hailed a taxi was to know Monday had done it. She prepared her heart so well that she was ready to welcome their child with all the love she had.

The silent drive allowed Kenneth to recollect his thoughts.

I won't let her approach her and fill her up with whatever nonsense.

No, he wasn't there to play on Monday's feelings, for if he did, it was him he'd betray.

The drive seemed too short for the man who hesitated to open the gate to Monday's house. After being scrutinized by passersby, Kenneth decided to enter a couple of minutes later.

He walked up the pathway and rang the doorbell. He listened to the footsteps nearing. Kenneth's heartbeat provoked a hiccup, which he swallowed as he got ready to see Monday.

The door opened, "Luce, I didn't expect you before tomorrow."

"Hi, Monㅡ."

The door slammed shut.

"Monday, Monday. Please open up," Kenneth said, ringing again while Monday inside covered her ears and moved to the kitchen.

What did he expect?

Kenneth rang again a couple of times before understanding Monday wouldn't open. He looked up; there was nothing but a clear blue sky. Monday bought a one-floor house. The front part where Kenneth stood resembled most houses in the area. The rest was a modern-looking extension. Kenneth began to walk around the house and soon found himself at the back and face to face with Monday, seated on the floor in front of her kitchen counter. The large bay windows were like a vast screen, giving Kenneth a view of any scene Monday planned to play.

"Monday," Kenneth said.

His was an echo the woman refused to hear; instead, she got up and walked to stand in front of him. Kenneth had a second to read her expression, but it was enough. Her gaze advertised her anger, and the lack of words hid its climax.