Chapter 2

Lily peered into her crate where her cauldron was situated in the center of the crate, surrounded by jars that she had found in the pottery shop. The wand box and a case full of her vials was wedged between the jars, her uniform package in the corner beside a bag of knitting and crochet needles and hooks she had gotten. Colorful balls of yarn filled each jar, brightening up the rustic colors of the other articles.

"Next is the pet! Ellery, what do you want? An owl, toad or cat? You would probably eat the toad.... and you are already a flyer so no owl. A cat it is then!"
Folding the list up and stuffing it into her sweater pocket, she hurried into the pet shop, holding tightly onto the crate. When she stepped into the room, she was surprised to find it brighter than the other shops. Unlike Olivanders, there were dozens of windows all over the shop, allowing natural light to fill the shop and to land on the many owl cages hanging from the ceiling, all of them full of owls. There were shelves lining the right-hand wall and the shelves were full of small glass cases which had water and shrubbery, the perfect home for toads. On the other side of the shop were multiple kennels and crates full of cats and kittens of all shapes, sizes and colors.

"Hello there!" the man at the counter greeted. "Look around, look around! Tell me when you have found something of interest."
Lily nodded and set to work inspecting each cat kennel. The cats in the crates were the kittens while the full-grown cats were in the kennels. She paused when she came to a particular crate which held a pure white mother cat. She was nursing her litter of kittens, some of them black, white and others brownish white. Her eyes settled on the kitten curled up in the corner of the crate, eyes closed and body shaking.

Reaching down gently, she touched her finger to the top of the kitten's head, and it whimpered.

"You're hungry, aren't you?" Lily whispered, reaching down with both hands to scoop up the kitten.

"Excuse me," she said as she approached the counter, holding the kitten in her hands, "he was pushed away by his mother."
The shop owner smiled and reached behind his desk for something, "That sometimes happens if the kitten is a runt or the mother cannot feed it. Here, this milk will fill him up. He should have three meals of milk a day till he gets older then he can feed himself most of the time."
Lily gratefully took the small bottle of milk from him which had a rubber glove fingertip tied to the top with a tiny puncture hole so that the kitten wouldn't drown in the milk. She began to gently coax the milk to the kitten's mouth and soon the kitten was sucking happily, grabbing at the bottle with its front paws.

"Is he to your liking?" The man asked, smiling at the girl.

Lily looked up and smiled, "Yes. Thank you."
She shifted the kitten into one hand and was about to reach into her pocket for money to pay for the kitten when she heard a bang. Spinning around, she saw that someone had come into the shop, but she had left her crate next to one of the kennels, not exactly in the way but the person had obviously not seen it.

"Seriously?" the kid snapped. "Can't you put this box somewhere else?"
Lily's eyes widened as she rushed over and picked up the crate, tucking it under her arm with difficulty since it had gotten heavy.

"I'm sorry, that was me."
She looked up at the person only to find herself staring into a pair of silver eyes that were staring at her wide eyed. Lily saw that it was a boy about her age but a few inches taller with platinum blond hair smoothed back from his face which was pale with a sharp nose, firm partially thin lips and sharp features.

The boy was staring at her in shock and too stunned to speak. However, a woman came into the shop after him who looked an awful lot like him.

"Draco, have you chosen a pet?"
The woman's eyes fell on the black-haired girl whom her son was staring at her she smiled at her, "Hello there. What is your name dear?"
"Lily," the girl greeted smiling brightly at the two. She stuck out her hand to the boy, Draco, her smile lighting up her face. "Sorry about the crate."
Draco stared at her hand. No one had ever given him their hand to shake with such a bright smile to go with it. Slowly he reached out and took her hand, finding himself shocked at how warm her hand felt in his ice cold on. She gripped his hand strongly, shocking him at her strength and shook it.