Chapter Nine

Luna chewed on her bottom lip in worry. Lily had not yet arrived to DADA class yet and both professor Snape and professor Lockhart were there so one of them was bound to notice that Lily was absent if she did not get there on time.

Lily had returned to the dorm the night before very rosy cheeked and beaming so Luna doubted that the overly excited girl did get any sleep at night. Maybe she just slept in a little late... or she had decided to sneak in professor Snape's office in broad daylight!

Luna Lovegood was the very last person who would freak out but these thoughts were beginning to make her tremble. What if Lily got petrified like Mrs. Norris!? Before these fears could become too drastic and cause Luna to faint the girl in question appeared next to her in a flurry of robes and wild braids.

From the smell of fresh air on her clothes to the twigs in her hair to the grass stains on her knees and the residing smell of old books, Luna guessed that Lily had been outside or had stopped by the library.

"where were you!?" Luna whispered yelled at the girl, "I was worried!"

Lily grinned as she opened her book bag to show the girl two rather thick but relatively new books. one was labeled, the Dark Lord. And the other, Creature Experts of the Modern World.

"Some light reading? I wonder why Serafina recommended those books."

Lily shrugged, "not sure but I'm not going to question anything Serafina says. I found the niffler she had mentioned... Pockets? He tried to make a run for it but I finally caught up to him."

Luna reached up to pluck a twig from out of Lily's braids, "I trust that the expedition was worthwhile?"

Lily nodded and opened her bag further to show Luna that it was also full of snippets and balls of old paper. "Never heard of a Niffler that would eat paper but he had all of this on him. I let him keep his other trinkets though."

"And you think these..." Luna asked as she held up a ball of paper, "have the answer to an independent patronus?"

Lily shrugged, "only one way to find out!"

"Can all of you see me?" professor Lockhart yelled, grabbing everyone's attention as he climbed up onto the long table that was situated in the middle of the room. "can you all hear me? Excellent! Today we will be practicing the disarming spell to be used only in dueling. Professor Snape was good enough to offer his assistance as my opponent."

Professor Snape climbed up onto the table obviously not amused. Lockhart drawled on and on about the dual so Lily squeezed to the front of the crowd until she stood at the side of the table between Luna and a Slytherin girl.

She was just in time to see professor Snape perform a spell that sent professor Lockhart flying backwards and Lily found herself giggling with all of the other students. The girl's green eyes looked across the table to see Draco laughing with his goons as Lockhart climbed to his feet but the boys stopped when his grey eyes locked on Lily.

His face changed into something Lily had never seen before and he refused to look away from her stare until Snape's voice cut in, calling Draco up onto the table just as Professor Lockhart called Harry up. Oh no...

Lily felt Luna grip her robes in concern for the pale haired girl knew just as well as Lily did that if Harry and Draco were going to duel each other it would not end well. The two boys faced each other and raised their wands.

They muttered something to each other that no one could hear before they turned and walked several paces away from each other. they then turned on their heels to face each other but before Harry could cast a spell, Draco had and Harry went flying backwards, spinning like a top in the air before he landed hard with a resounding thud.