Chapter Thirteen

Breathe in... breathe out... No need to freak out over nothing. Lily kept saying this in her head as she slowly made her way down the corridors. She could still hear that wretched hissing voice of the basilisk though now it was no longer chanting "kill, kill, kill".

Rather it was going on and on about things that didn't seem to make any sense to Lily. Maybe it was a snake thing. the only thing that Lily could understand in the creature's rambling were "must return to master", "through the pipes, smelly pipes." and "past that screaming ghost. Very loud ghost."

When she heard that last part, Lily knew exactly where she had to go. Sadly, moving as a spirit had its disadvantages since there was no friction so you were stuck floating at the same pace. Almost 30 minutes later Lily finally made it into the abandoned girl's bathroom and was not surprised to find the place empty and silent. She could very faintly hear Moaning Myrtle in one of the stalls talking to herself but Lily was distracted from that when she saw a literal opening in the old sinks. It looked like someone had finally found the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets but had left it open behind them.

"Harry."

She took a step in and instantly her spirit form began to float downward very slowly. Obviously, there were no stairs, just a drop when she finally stopped falling and she looked around. She was in a dark underground cave-like place that was dark save for the light that was emitting from her body. She could faintly hear voices down one corner, so she chose to not go that way. If anyone were to see her glowing body, then there would be questions.

She followed the serpent's hissing voice that had not ceased to hiss in her ear. The surrounding walls seemed to become smaller and tighter until Lily was afraid that she would reach a dead end... and she did. However, she remembered the words that Snape told her concerning the rules of the spirit world so she took a step forward. There were no walls in the spirit world. It was like walking through the wall at the station at 9 3/4.

It was like she dissolved into the wall before it washed away and Lily found herself in a small dark pipe. It was large enough for her to stand upright, water trickling around her feet. She remained still, listening for any noise... the voice of the basilisk had disappeared and there were no other noises. She inched closer to the end of the pipe and peered around the corner. She could see the giant basilisk, lying in a heap not more than 100 feet away on the other end of the huge stone chamber.

Blood was pooling around the serpent's lifeless head that had its mouth stuck wide open. A little closer to her sat Harry and Ginny. Harry looked exhausted and soaking wet, a large red phoenix sitting next to him... and there lying on the wet floor was the diary. Lily felt around her translucent body until she located her wand.

Drawing it out she pointed it at the old worn diary and whispered a spell, the book vanishing and immediately appearing in her hand. She looked back to make sure that Harry and Ginny had not noticed only to realize that Harry was now looking around for the diary. Hastily Lily reached into her robes for a replacement and came up with her small brown empty notebook that she had been planning on using for charms class. she saw that there was a dent in Voldemort's diary so she drove the tip of her wand into her replacement notebook before magically transporting it back behind Harry who did not seem suspicious as he grabbed it and stuffed it into his robes.

Lily inched further back into the pipe so that they would not see her as they departed from the chamber. She glanced down at Voldemort diary... all this work just for this... obviously it was not only special but very important to Voldemort. But why? Just as the girl was about to open said diary, it fell from her hands and Lily felt her whole body shaking violently like an earthquake was going off in her body.

"Oh no..." she whispered, realizing that her body was returning to her physical self. Before she could try and reach down and grab the diary, everything went black, and it was like she had passed out again.