Chapter Twelve

The potions classroom was dead silent, not just because the only people in the classroom was Professor Snape and Lily but also because when Lily had used the stolen key to barge into the room, the first thing that left her lips was...

"Did Voldemort kill the last siren?"

Snape was, Lily couldn't even believe such a look was possible for Professor Snape, surprised. His eyes were wide with a stunned look on his face as he looked at the girl with a bandage on her hand and misery in her green eyes. Letting out a deep breath, the professor sunk down into the large seat behind his desk and mumbled.

"I see that Malfoy couldn't keep any information to himself."

"how come Draco knew about this before I did and I am the present day siren?" Lily asked, her tone beginning to tremble.

"a few years ago Draco was brought to Hogwarts for a visit. His father had some business to take care of and let's just say that a young student was left to watch him... a young Slytherin girl... let's just say that she shared the information with Draco. I will never know why Lucius Malfoy left that girl to watch Draco. She had done the same a few years prior and almost got herself and another student expelled for arguing with Draco." Snape explained in a surprisingly soft voice.

Lily swallowed thickly as she sunk down onto a chair, "who was it? Who was the last siren?"

"we don't know." Snape replied, earning him a frown from Lily.

"then how do you know that Voldemort killed the siren?"

Snape wet his lip as he reached into his desk and drew out what looked like a circle until Lily saw that it was a book... in the shape of a circle and there on the dark blue leather cover was the siren symbol of a droplet hovering over ripples.

Lily rose to her feet and walked over to the desk as Snape opened the book and flipped through the pages. Lily soon saw that every page was a painting of someone's face. To the left of each face, furthest from the binding was the name of that person written vertically. Written above each painting was two dates... birth and death. Below each painting was a title or "best known for". And then on the right of each painting closest to the binding was another name... below the words: killed by...

As Snape flipped through the pages, Lily saw that towards the front of the book, some of the pages were Crescent shaped, missing the name and painting but with only the name of the killer present. This sent a shiver down Lily's spine and suddenly her tank top white blouse, navy blue skirt and brown leather boots were no longer enough to keep her warm.

"about five generations after the first siren died, we came to know of who each siren was. to this day no one has ever been able to find out the name of the first siren so their name is blank. This book is magical so the name will only appear if the siren has shared with anybody that they are the siren. For example, the moment myself and professor Dumbledore realized that you were the siren, your name and your painting appeared here in the book. The first siren was the only time that the siren's identity was unknown until... Voldemort stepped into the picture." Snape explained, "he killed not just the last siren but the siren before that as well. Before anyone knew who they were... and he did the same to the last siren."

Lily looked to see that indeed, the second and third first pages were missing names, dates and portraits and on both beneath "killed by..." was one name... Voldemort. The girl swallowed thickly as she turned the page to see her face staring back at her in a perfect lifelike painting. To the left was her name: Lillian Potter. Above her name was one date... her birth date. It was blank to the right and below since she had not yet gained a title and had not yet been killed.