nine

CHAPTER NINE:
" MEATLOVERS? "

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

CHARLIE HAD a rough day at work, it seemed as if his cases were growing minute by minute will more missing persons be reported every 24 hours

He really needed a beer and a nap that he hoped lasted for at least half a millennium, because maybe then would all of his problems wither away on their own.

Allegra came bounding through the front door slamming it shut behind her as a happy tune played from her lips, loud humming echoing around the double story home.

"Ally." He whispers. "You're out of your room?"

She beams at her father leaping forward to embrace him in a long, warm hug. It was hard for him not to sigh with content as they stood there, holding each other.

"I'm sorry, dad." Allegra mumbled into his chest.

He chuckled rest his chin on top of her head, "Don't sweat it. I'm just glad that you're okay."

"I heard there's a game on tonight," she looks at him expectedly.

Charlie's face breaks out into a warm smile and he pulls her into yet another hug, "I'll order the pizza."

"I'm gonna go change, I'll be right down." Allegra released herself from her father's hold and raced upstairs two at a time.

She kicked her shoes off and instantly stripped away the uncomfortable shirt she had wedged herself into that very morning.

The plaid pj pants and an old tee  would suffice for the night, paired with her favourite harry potter socks of course.

As she ran a comb through her hair a figure outside her house caught her eye, Rosalie and Emmett stood hidden along the trees watching the house intently.

The girl suddenly felt uncomfortable pulling the chain to cover her bedroom window with her blinds, ignoring the Goosebumps popping up over her exposed skin she turned and turned the light off bounding down the stairs to join her father - just like the good old days.

"Is meat lovers okay?" Charlie called as his youngest daughter entered the home.

As if on cue, the low rumbling of Allegra's stomach occurred bringing a laugh from her father's mouth, "so that's a yes then."

He sat on the recliner and raised his feet, the remote in one hand and an open beer in the other.

Allegra leaned forward snatching the beverage from his unsuspecting grip, he opens his mouth to protest but the words fall short as she takes a sip and places it back in the palm of his hand.

"If i told you about the day I had, you'd let me drink for the next week."

Charlie didn't try to argue, "no more under-age drinking. I'm a cop and your father, I shouldn't be turning a blind eye to that."

Allegra rolled her eyes playfully, "just a one time thing, dad. I promise."

Charlie wasn't completely obvious to the things that occurred in his house, he for one knew that this would not be a one time thing as the cans in his fridge disappear every so often and so does his youngest child.

And he also wasn't stupid, her early morning cigarettes could be smelt the moment he left his bedroom.

He would eventually speak to her about it but for now he had to let it go, he didn't want another runaway situation with this one like he did the last one.

Especially considering Allegra would most definitely end up in the hospital, his guess, a concussion from running into a window whilst shopping.

He couldn't count one hand how many times that had happened over the years and how hilarious it was every time it happened.

"Dad," her voice freed him from his vast thoughts. "It's starting."

Allegra situated herself so her head was on an arm rest and her legs across the length of the couch, she turned her head listening to the commentary as the game begun, she wasn't exactly sure how it worked but it was amusing to watch.

Charlie always got worked up a lot during the games, it was probably the most amusing part of the whole thing.

"Oh come on!" He exclaimed leaning forward in his seat.

Allegra like clockwork broke into laughter, she struggled to make up her mind, unsure who she wanted to watch more.

It had just passed halftime when a knock on the front door sounded before Charlie was able to move she shot to her feet, "I got it."

Allegra slid the money from the table and opened the front door, the delivery guy tenses upon recognising her face.

"Mike?" She whispers flabbergasted.

He pales visibly and gulps, "hey Allegra... I didn't realise this was your house."

Allegra glances over her shoulder to se her father had disappeared from the recliner, "Listen about what happened when we went out-"

"It's fine!" She exclaims sharply sliding the money into the pocket on his shirt.

He opens his mouth to speak once more but she snatches the pizza away and kicks the door closed, a shrill scream echoing around the house as she turns to come face to face with Charlie.

"Dad! Stop doing that."

Charlie simply took the pizza from her grip and wandered off back to his recliner, "the pizza is getting cold. What are you just standing there for?"

Allegra hadn't even noticed how she stayed in place, a soft smile on her lips as she watched her fathers frown turn into the smile that she had loved since a little girl, the one that nurtured her and tucked her in at night. 

It was the first smile she saw as she was bought into this world and it hadn't gotten old because if she needed him - he was there, always. 

"Honey," he spoke rising from his seat. "Are you okay?"

Allegra finally easing herself from her thoughts nodded entering the living room and sitting on the sofa beside him.

"I'm better than okay."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬