eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
" THE FINAL HOURS "

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE TREK to the campsite was harrowing, and exhausting, every new step that Allegra Swan took added more strain to her muscles

THE TREK to the campsite was harrowing, and exhausting, every new step that Allegra Swan took added more strain to her muscles. Doing a trek like this on its own was difficult but the growing layers of snow only added weight significantly slowing her down.

Allegra silently wished she knew how to control the shift, she knew it would've made the trip a lot easier than walking on her ordinarily boring human legs.

Bella and Edward had started at what seemed like the crack of dawn, a copper like scent lingered in the air like a trail to the battlefield that Allegra had caught immediately after starting her own journey to meet up with them.

However tiring the journey had been thus far, Allegra realized that this was a far more peaceful and mind clearing experience than any hours of therapy and medication had ever been - perhaps even more healing than the cigarettes she kept putting between her lips taking another day of her lifespan away.

The habit was quickly revealing itself to be a mistake as her lungs felt heavier, less amounts of air could be stored and sucked in, it grew annoying but you reap what you sow.

It was nearly sunset when Allegra finally arrived, she hadn't been expecting a welcoming party but the last person she expected to see greeting her was - Edward Cullen.

He stacked a pile of firewood in the middle of the two tents that they had already set up, Jacob Black staying in the other.

"Hey," he spoke quietly returning his attention to the makeshift round of Tetris that he had going on in front of him.

Allegra dropped her giant backpack next to a log and fished a box of matchsticks from her back pocket not uttering a word as one snapped between her fingers. A human could easily snap a match stick but Allegra felt stronger, the snapped stick only frustrated her greatly.

"Fuck." She mumbled pulling another matchstick out, with one quick flick of the matchstick against the side of the box - it was on fire.

Allegra tossed the matchstick amongst the wood and shifted back dropping herself onto a log, mindlessly massaging the aching shin muscles that were begging for some sort of relief.

If Edward was uncomfortable in Allegra's presence since the latest development in her life, he was an expert at hiding it. "How are you... feeling?" The curious vampire questioned leaving a few feet between them.

"Sore." She whispered. "I didn't have a werewolf in love with me to whisk me up the mountain like Bella does."

Allegra knew after the words tumbled from her lips that they were petty, did she mean to let that attitude begin to get to her ? No. Did she enjoy being the one to finally give it instead of constantly taking it? Most definitely.

"You have an imprint." Edward said.

Allegra couldn't hide the grin that appeared on her face at the mere mention of her 16 year old boyfriend and pack mate, his name sent familiar chills down her spine and made her lips ache - they felt so cold without him constantly around to warm them up with his own.

"Embry is preparing himself," Allegra reminded him. "To protect Bella and get himself a chunk of vampire flesh."

Edward managed a nod, "will you be joining the rest of them on the field after it... begins."

She shakes her head, "I wish. I'd love to be able to tear into one of them, after everything they've put me and my family through - it'd be the perfect revenge. Don't you think?"

Edward doesn't have a reply, he just shifts in place staring at the growing fire with a bare expression on his pale face. Instead, he takes something off the ground beside her bag and wanders off.

"he-" she stops her protest as soon as his actions dawn on her, in the blink of an eye he had set up her tent.

"Get some rest, you'll need it." He speaks before returning to his own tent.

Allegra was dumbfounded, she bought her hands up to her face and rubbed at her eyes. Surely, this was another one of the stupidly freakishly realistic dreams that kept occurring.

The crisp winter air was a good reminder that this was definitely reality, she stood from the log and walked over to the tent, climbing inside.

Allegra climbed into her sleeping bag and zipped it up, perhaps she liked being part wolf, the cold didn't feel like much of an issue now.

The teenage girl fell asleep quickly knowing that tomorrow everything would change.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬