fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
" GRADUATION "

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

CHARLIE STOOD at the doorway of his youngest daughters bedroom caressing his tensed forehead anxiously, frown lines implanting themselves into his usually age free face

Allegra stood a few feet away with her arms crossed stubbornly, two strands of her hair falling in front of her face, a pout etched onto her face in protest of the event that would go ahead.

"It's your sisters graduation," Charlie urged. "You have to be there."

"I don't have to do anything," She argued stomping her foot reminding her father that she was still a child.

He leaned on the door frame, "if you come to the graduation with your old man, I'll take you out for steak and chips at the diner when im off work on Monday."

The pout quickly disappeared from Allegra's face and that's how she found herself sitting in one of the many rows at the graduation, her denim shorts riding up her thighs and getting judgmental looks from others for the outfit choice at such a serious event.

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up..." Jessica paused. "Our answered were things like astronaut, president. Or in my case, princess."

A grin slipped onto Allegra's face, "when we were ten, they asked again and we answered - rock star, cowboy, or in my case, gold medalist. But now that we've grown up, they want a serious answer."

There's another slight pause, "well, how bout this, who the hell knows?"

Loud hoots and hollers from the audience echo around the hall, Allegra finds her chest swelling with pride at the site of the graduate standing on stage.

"This isnt the time to make hard and fast decisions, it's time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train, and get stuck somewhere chill. Fall in love - a lot."

A few chuckles echo, including from the teenage girl herself.

"Major in philosophy because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind, then change it again, because nothing is permanent.. so make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask again what we want to be... we wont have to guess. We'll know."

The moment Bella Swan stepped up on stage and took the diploma from her principles hand, despite their differences, Allegra was immediately up on her feet screaming in excitement for her sisters biggest achievement thus far.

Her cheeks reddened after earning a few glances but it didn't stop any of the pride that Bella had instilled in her.

Bella stepped off stage and let her wandering eyes meet Allegra's they both stilled immediately, but the tears that quickly presented themselves in both of their eyes said the most.