𝙉𝙤 𝙧𝙚𝙘𝙤𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮

The PASS device is an alarm, sewn into a firefighter's gear. It automatically goes off if we're motionless for too long. The sound... will haunt you. Because it means there's a firefighter down. It means someone has fallen. It means what we thought was a rescue is probably now a recovery. It means we're about to say goodbye to one of our own.

Y/n's body shook as the explosion went off, she grabbed her radio quickly "Mayday, copy?! Mayday! There's been an explosion, upper floors of the building, a firefighter is trapped, he-" she caught her breath "I need a RIT team. Right now. Over"

"Negative. I can't send anyone up."

"Chief, we have to get upstairs and help..." She tried to persuade him

"We have to help the people out here. Triage has been relocated outside. We're still pulling dozens of victims from the building. The structure is not sound. There's a full evacuation for a reason."

"I understand, but I'm so close to the floor that exploded. I-"

"It's all hands on deck out here, Tanner. I don't want to lose anybody else, and that includes you. Get down here."

"I can't just leave him." She continued she was determined and she wasn't giving up

"We are in the middle of full-evacuation protocol. We have people who need our help right here. Tanner  get your ass out of there. Do you copy?"

She looked up the stairway shaking her head "Screw that."

She ran up the stairs as quickly as possible, Maya and Vic coming down the opposite waym Maya furrowed her brows "What the hell are you doing?

"There was an explosion." She painting as she ran

"Yeah, that's why we're running down the stairs." Vic watched her "We gotta get out of here."

"Jack is still up there." She didn't stop running

"Hang on!" Maya yelled after her "I'll go after her."

"No, we both will." Vic demanded

"No, you get downstairs, find more people to help, and bring them back up here as fast as you can, okay?"

"Yeah. Okay." She nnodde

~

"This is the floor." Y/n told Maya "Jack contained the explosion by closing these fire doors. The fire's probably burned itself out by now."

"Or we're about to get swallowed up by a backdraft." Maya let out a sigh

"Either way, we gotta get in there." Y/n shook her head

"Do we, though? Have to get in there? Maybe it's safer if we wait for backup. Vic went to get more help." Maya tried to stop her But she took off her glove and felt the door

"It's hot. I'm trying the handle." She attempted to open it but it wouldn't budge "It's probably the pressure, pulling it shut."

"Or it's warped." Maya offered "Probably melted. If it is hot enough in there to warp this door, maybe we should think about what it is we're doing here. A backdraft could kill us instantly. We don't even know if this building is still structurally sound-"

Y/n turned around and yelled at the girl "Then go. If you don't wanna be here, just go." Maya put her hands up in surrender, y/n turned back around and tried the door again but it wouldn't open "I'm not stopping till we get in there."

"Okay, then let's get in there without using up all of our energy." Maya watched as y/n put the tool on the nail holding the hinges of the door, maya put the mallet under it "tell me when."