𝙒𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙞𝙩 𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙣𝙨, 𝙞𝙩 𝙥𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨

When the danger's coming at you, you need to make a choice. Where do you focus? How do you proceed? Do you run? Do you hide? Or do you stand your ground and commit?

The rain could be heard on the roof of the station as it poured down ontop of it, to y/n it was comforting. She watched jack closely trying to read him but the room was way to quiet so she spoke up

"What were Miller's parents like?" Y/n asked Jack as she restocked the oxygen tanks in the turnout room and he put bears on everyone's cubbies "Cause his sister's basically Carbon Copy Dean." He didn't answer so she turned around "You good?"

"Yeah." He looked at her for a second before he went back to what he was doing "Why?"

"Cause you're doing the quiet thing."

"What quiet thing?"

"See?" She chuckled softly "Quiet thing." He turned around so she walked closer waiting for him to actually speak to her "Okay, is it me or us that's making you quiet? We haven't really talked more since I hung up on you for a baby."

"Yeah, it's not that." He looked at her before turning to grab more bears "It's not. I swear. It's just, seeing Dean with his family lately has got me thinking about mine, wondering who they are and... and where." She furrowed her brows and he shook his head "N-Never mind. It's nothing."

"I thought you said your parents got married six months after they met." She went back to the oxygen tanks

"My last set of foster parents did." He nodded placing more bears down "Bio parents are more of a black hole."

"You do know there's this crazy thing called the Internet where you can look up basically anyone I mean I could he-" she went back to him again, placing a hand in his arm comforting him

"Yeah, I don't wanna stalk." He shook his head stepping away from her "I'd rather just forget about it."

"Tanner, Sullivan wants us on maintenance." Travis walked into the room "Cool?" He watched as y/n looked at Jack confused "Not cool?"

"All good." She faced him with a sigh "Let's go maintain"

~

"Can I ask you a question?" Y/n asked tightening a bolt on a truck right below travis

"Yes, my deodorant failed." Travis nodded before smelling his armpit "Is it obvious?"

"No." She shook her head her noise scrunching as he did so "I mean, yes. This is more of a hypothetical."

"by hypothetical you mean-"

"Stay with me, Montgomery." She got him back on track "Say you have this friend who is struggling with something and you can tell that it's really upsetting him." She continued tightening the bolt "You even have really great ideas about ways to help, but they just seem to not want to hear them. I mean, do you push? Should you push?"

"Okay, so, you know how this bolt that you're tightening has a breaking point?" He placed a hand on hers to stop her "So do people. You know, if someone doesn't want your help, you trying to force it on them is actually the opposite of being helpful. It'll annoy them, and then they'll- leave you mean, feverish voicemails on their drive home."

"I thought we were talking about my friend." Y/n looked at him weird "Why are we talking about your friend?"

"Stay with me, Tanner." He copied her from earlier

"Okay, but I really just need to know-"

"I know." He looked at her as he stepped onto the floor fully "I think the real question that you need to ask yourself is, why do you care so much?"